I am the King, Right? - Chapter 6

~Michael~

I knocked on the door. When Chef Dermen opened it he looked surprised to see me. But he recovered quickly my bowing his head respectively and mumbling, “Good morning Your Majesty.”

“Yes, yes, hello,” I said impatiently.

“Was breakfast not to your satisfaction?” Chef Dermen asked. He motioned for me to enter his apartment, so I did.

“It was fine thank you. Wonderful as always. Is your daughter around, I would be most delighted to meet her.”

“Now is not the best time I am afraid,” Chef Dermen said. He nodded his head towards the back of the apartment. I could hear water running.

“Why is it that your daughter is never available?” I inquired.

“I am not sure my lord.”

“Do you not want me meeting her?”

Chef Dermen’s mouth opened, but then closed again. He sighed. “I am sorry Your Majesty but I have done some things for your good without your permission, please forgive me.”

“I might be able to if I knew what these things were.”

“My daughter used to live here in the castle with myself. She had quite the influence on you. You seemed to always want to make her happy, to make sure you did what she wanted. That is why, my lord, when you were crowned king it would have been unfair to you and the country to have kept her here.”

“I do not understand,” I said trying to understand what he had said. So Chef Dermen’s had been my friend? Big Whoop. What did that have to do with now.

“I was afraid that if you continued to grow up together that the decisions made by yourself would be tainted. I could not let that happen. The reason I am hesitant to reintroduce you now, is I am still afraid that she could become influential once again.”

I thought about that for a moment. “Thank you for your concern Chef Dermen, but it is not necessary. I wish to meet your daughter. Please have her ready to eat dinner with me Sunday night. No excuses this time.”

Chef Dermen nodded helplessly. I turned on my heel and left.

~Chef Dermen~

Having a child as king is hard. He is so naïve and innocent. But at least he isn’t headstrong like my own daughter. Isabelle has many ambitions, but it seems the King has none.

The story I had told His Majesty was only partially true. Yes I was afraid Is would become too influential, but not because they had once been friends. I was afraid because of the person Isabelle was growing up to be.

She is headstrong, smart, stubborn, large hearted, and many other things. But most of all it is her beauty getting her into trouble. I know she doesn’t realize it about herself, but it is the reason her friends are so protective of her.

Isabelle isn’t a one look at her and your stunned kind of gorgeous, but a soft, pure beauty that you only see once she acts like herself. She is always beautiful, but more so once you know her.

His Majesty obviously did not know that Isabelle was my daughter. And I intended to keep it that way. I know Isabelle had confronted him yesterday, I had no way of stopping it. If the king knew her to be my daughter it might make things better or worse. I did not want to find out which it would lead to.

The king probably only wanted to meet Isabelle because he was excited about the fact that there was someone else in the castle close to his age by a matter of months. He didn’t know anything about her yet, I hope.