I am the King, Right? - Chapter 7

~Isabelle~

“Hey,” came the chorus of greetings as I slipped into my friend’s car the next day. The guard had let my friends drive up to the castle because they had the guest pass now.

“Yo,” I said just to be different. ‘Hey’ is so overdone.

“So what do you want to do today?” Adam asked bouncing in his seat. He was in the passenger seat, and I was between Nora and Josh again. Liam was driving like usual.

“Actually, can we go to where we went the other day?” I asked sweetly. All of my friends turned in their seats to stare at me. “What?”

“Why do you want to go back there?” Liam asked as he openly gaped.

“Kingy kind of believes me, I want to get some pictures and videos and stuff for him. I might have promised him that I would help him fix things.” This seemed to be a good enough answer for Liam because he started driving.

“Since when are you and the hot king so buddy buddy?” Josh asked with jealousy dripping from his words.

“He might have hunted me down yesterday. I don’t know. But now I’m helping him.”

“You and your freaking good heart,” Nora muttered. “I wish I was as nice as you, then I would have kings hunting me down.”

“What about me?” Adam said turning around to face Nora.

“Aw baby, you’re cute. But you’re no king,” Nora said tapping him on the nose.

“I’m cute? What am I a puppy?” Adam said pouting even more.

Instead of answering Nora just leaned forwards and pecked his lips. This seemed to satisfy him because he turned and sat properly in his seat.

When we got to the abandoned playground we had seen the kids the other day, all of my friends got out of the car.

I slowly approached one little girl who couldn’t be more than eight and I asked if I could take her picture. She nodded a little afraid, and smiled hesitantly for me as I snapped her picture with my phone.

I continued to do this, asking kids if I could take their picture, or taking a video of them. After about ten minutes, my friends got bored. I told them to go to town and shop or something. They all seemed happy about that. Only Josh stayed with me, forever the big brother.

After another twenty minutes, Josh took my phone from me so I had to stop taking videos.

“Is, you cant scare Kingy with all those pictures. Try actually talking to the kids. Whatever they have to say will probably make more of an impact on Kingy than a pic of a sad kid.”

“Okay.”

I walked towards a kid I didn’t have a picture of yet. This one was a boy about thirteen or fourteen. He wore shorts that were way to short for him, like he had been wearing them for years, and his shirt was filthy and barely reached the waist back of his shorts. Cowering behind him was another boy of about six or so.

I walked slowly so I wouldn’t startle them. Even the older ones were scared of someone so clean and as well fed as myself. I wanted to help them, not scare them.

“Hi I’m Is and this is my friend Josh,” I said. I found this was the easiest way to get them to talk to me. But these two boys didn’t speak back. “King Michael as promised to make changes to the way he rules. He asked me ask his people what they want to make things better for themselves. Can you tell what you want?” So, it was a little white lie. It wouldn’t hurt anyone.