I am the King, Right? - Chapter 24

~Michael~

“Mike-y! Mikey, Mikey!” I heard from down the hall.

I smiled sheepishly across the table to my uncle. “Let me just go see what she wants,” I said.

“Mike-y! Mikey, Mikey!” It was closer now.

“That girl needs to know where her spot is. She cannot be interrupting your business,” Uncle Harold said firmly. I went to apologize but he kept talking. “That girl needs to learn respect for you and Jessica. She needs to remember that she is only a temporary visitor in this country.”

I nodded and went to the door of the office and threw it open just as Is was passing out side.

“Mikey!” She cheered.

“Someone is in a happy mood,” I commented.

I quickly closed the door behind me so that Uncle Harold didn’t overhear our conversation. Is grabbed my hand and pulled me into the empty room across from the office where my uncle was.

“I need a cheque for a thousand,” Is said putting out her hand.

I felt my jaw drop. “You need what?”

“Cheque for a thousand, pay up Kingy,” she said bending her fingers back impatiently.

“Okay and why?” I said playing along.

Izzy rolled her eyes at me. “We have the money from that cancelled build.” I nodded. “So we need to put it to use. We can't let those people stay hungry when now we have a way to help.”

“So you need a thousand why?”

“Today I am going to start the food and water program and then we can start the housing program,” she explained.

“Izzy, no. I should be doing this with you. It’s my country. Wait for tomorrow. I have all my king responsibilities today,” I pleaded.

“Mikey, they are hungry people! Their needs aren’t going to wait until it is a more convenient time for you. Give me the money and I will start. I will do everything in your name, you just need to let me get started.”

“I don’t know Is. I’m supposed to be doing all of this, not you,” I said still unsure. I knew what she was getting at, but I still wanted to be there for the whole thing. Why did she have to start today and not another day? We’ve had the money for a couple of days.

“Well we need to start with the organizing and everything. I might not even need the money today. But if it doesn’t take so long I will. And besides, I don’t want you messing up all the organizing, that’s the most important.”

I put my hand over my heart. “Ow that hurt Is,” I joked. “Okay if I give you the money, you have to make sure that you don’t do too much today without letting me know.”

“Fine. I’ll text you when I start something new,” she reasoned. She crossed her arms over her chest. She knew she was that close to winning.

“What if you get caught?” I asked as a last attempt to stop her. I had always thought I would be there with her when we started our plan to make things better.

“I’ll just say I’m using my allowance that I’ve banked up and I want to use it to help. Besides, you will catch me? And if they do, you’re king.”

“Okay fine,” I said with a sigh. “Wait I don’t have my cheque book with me.”

“You have your laptop in there right?” Is said pointing through the closed door to the office.