Chapter 1

I'd always been fascinated about the differences between the male and female mind, notably the conversations I'd have with Henry would seem to cement that particular theory, including the current one we were having right now.

"I'm not saying that women should be in the kitchen," Henry used his hands for emphasis, running one of them through his chocolate brown hair with the stress of his incorrect statement at the beginning of our conversation. "It's just a lot more common for you girls to be in them than men," seeing as the conversation had begun with Henry stating that "women belong in the kitchen", he had somehow managed to dig himself a bigger hole than when he had started.

Valentina looked as if she wanted to pull her hair from the scalp, affirming her strong belief that Henry was incorrect in this conversation. Although, debates like this had become a rather common occurrence at the lunch table for us all. "You say one more thing," she outstretched her finger with authority towards Henry. I couldn't help but giggle at the terrified expression displayed on his features, "and I will throw that food into the nearest trash can I see."

Henry hastily pulled his sandwich out of Valentina's reach, cradling it like a new-born baby. "Fine, please can we just drop it then?" She looked over at him sympathetically before shaking her head and digging back into her own food.

"Shouldn't have said anything, Henry," I joked and took a short swig of my water bottle, delighting in the cold liquid running down my throat. He rolled his eyes in my direction before eating his sandwiches, keeping them at a cautious distance from Valentina.

Four of us were sat comfortably at one of the central tables in the cafeteria, the same one we seemed to find empty whenever we came in. My small, yet irreplaceable group of friends consisted of only myself, Henry, Valentina and April.

The four of us had been inseparable since we'd thankfully met in kindergarten, credited to our old teacher, Mrs Greeves for throwing the four of us together in a "bonding" activity, which went down a lot better than expected. Obviously.

Valentina had the most confidence out of the lot of us, asserting herself and winning the majority of class debates and arguments, mostly because not a lot of people were willing to step up against her, and for that, I admired her. Her natural hair was beautifully ringleted, a constant reminder that I had been unfortunate with my similar brunette hair, falling oddly with a mis-match of curls and waves throughout.

April and I lacked the trait of Valentina's conviction in a high school full of people that would agree. However, April was the sweetest person you could ever meet, combine that with her deep red hair, she was a walking saint. She'd continuously tie her hair away from the front of her face, usually into a ponytail or plait, something I also wished I could do. But it was safe to say that I was pretty talentless.

Lastly, Henry was like the male version of Valentina, although a little less self-assured. He was one of those people that could get along with anyone and not have a bad word to say about them. He was a natural charmer, enabling him to know practically everyone in the school on a first-name basis.

We were what most would call a disjointed family of friends, although I'm sure April would avoid referring to Henry on a brotherly level at all costs.

"Sav, check your one o'clock," I turned as discreetly to my right, following Valentina's usual instructions. However, I was simply met with the various individuals that I would see every day in the cafeteria. I swung back to Valentina with a questioning look in my eyes. "Other one o'clock," with a grin against my lips, I turned again to now see the three things that this school was unfortunate to have been graced with, the smile on my features fading instantly.