Chapter 44

Savannah James

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

Josh's voice was close, his body pressed up to mine with his hand touching my upper arm. I nodded hesitantly, despite how much I wanted to retreat and pretend that I'd never agreed to it.

My voice was caught in my throat as I imagined the pit in my stomach, somersaulting over and over in a matter of minutes. With one last intake of breath, I stepped into the chamber in front of me, hailing a small nod and a wink from the lifeguard in front of me.

The guy, however, was soon given a deathly glare by Josh as his hand brushed my shoulder to help me on the ride. I already guessed that it wouldn't help Josh's temperament with the lack of clothing I was wearing and the suggestive manner of the lifeguard in front of us.

"Best of luck." Josh sobered up quickly when I sent him a warning look as he joked with Harvey, Tom and Tyler beside him, each of them seemingly proud that I'd actually decided to do this.

I stared pointedly at the glass in front of me, displaying the smug faces of the boys, and now the lifeguard as he pressed the red button beneath his fingers. I attempted to brace myself with my arms before the floor was lost below me and I plummeted down onto the dark tunnel of water flowing through it, the blur of Josh's face being the last thing I saw before it was gone.

Within what felt like a matter of seconds, the light was brought back to my body with the opening of the slide, pushing the material of my bikini up in the process.

I stood up, slightly dazed as Henry helped me out of the compartment of the water, only for the blood to rush into my veins with the sudden adrenaline of the drop. "That was amazing!" I practically shouted as I looked back to to where the water slide started, seeing Josh enter the chamber shortly after me.

The rest of the boys made their way down, one by one, each of them possessing the same adrenaline rush as I did.

It was our last day before our flight home, and we'd decided that a day at the nearby water park and a chilled night with a few drinks would be perfect for us.

But when we all made our way into the separate changing rooms at the end of the day, I was immediately attacked with almost a hundred questions by April and Valentina, not having had the time to ask me before.

"Are you together, or not?" Surprisingly, it was April to be the first to ask, more enthusiastic than I had assumed she would be.

"We're seeing how things go."

"But wasn't that what you left it like in Australia? And look how that turned out."

I rolled my eyes and began changing out of my bikini. "That's what's been worrying me. We get along really well when we're not home, and then it'll probably go to shit again."

"Then don't let it go to shit." Valentina sat down beside me and grasped my hands. "You both like each other, it's obvious. I haven't seen you, or him, look at anyone else how you look at each other."

"And there's nothing stopping you two from being together." April added, but I was still having doubts running through my mind.

What they didn't know is that there were definitely reasons for us to not be together. The fact that his fighting managed to still make me uncomfortable, yet I was doing the same myself without telling anybody. It was something we couldn't agree on and I wasn't sure we ever would.