Chapter 27

The shooting pain seemed to persist through my jaw as I walked into school the day after the fight. I had battled my way through multiple tubes of concealers and foundations to somehow cover up the monstrosity of a bruise now displayed against my skin.

However, in combination with covering my face, I had decided that today would be different than yesterday. I wanted to smile through the pain that soared through my features. But mostly, I wanted to prove that I wasn't the girl everyone so easily left out and forgot about.

I'd made more of an effort than usual, throwing on an outfit a little more revealing than my usual jeans and a sweater.

The soft white material of my singlet bodysuit was tightly tucked into a pair of blue mom jeans, paired with my favourite black boots, heeled slightly to help me with my already diminishing height.

I felt almost powerful as I opened up my locker with the ferocity that I should've carried way before today. "You look—different." It was refreshing to hear Tyler's voice at the beginning of the day, yet I was met with the curiosity of my outfit choice over my usual comfort clothing.

A grin fell against my lips as I shrugged and closed up my locker again after pulling a few books from it.

Despite Tyler's comment, I felt a little on edge for the remainder of the day as lunch grew closer. I wanted to pull myself together and no longer be pushed around by people like Isabella, but it was becoming rather difficult with the swirling of my stomach and the constant trips to the bathroom for reapplication of make up to the revealing bruise.

However, with whatever confidence I was able to find within me, I walked with self-assurance into the cafeteria and purposely sat beside Josh, pretending as if nothing was different. He sent me a questioning look before turning back to whatever conversation the group was immersed in.

"You're sitting in my seat, sweetie." The condescending manner of Isabella's words from beside me was enough to make me want to send my fist straight through her features. "I'm sure you could pull a chair from another table."

"Perhaps you could find the extra seat."

Although we both had not been in a situation like this before, I knew that my normal reaction would've been to not even bother sitting beside Josh in the first place. I would've already found a chair to sit anywhere else.

But I was now in her territory. And she didn't like it one bit.

The group seemed to hush their speaking slightly, intrigued with the current discussion of facial expressions from both Isabella and I.

She angrily grabbed a seat from the table beside ours as if it were the hardest task she'd ever had to complete. "Maybe I wouldn't have had to find one if you would've moved in the first place."

I shrugged complacently and turned back to the group, hoping that any conversation would start back up again, for my sake. I wasn't sure how much longer I could keep up the sense of conviction I'd only wish to always posess.

"I really am sorry." I spoke back up again, the confidence coming from a place of anger instead of sadness. "I didn't know it had your fücking name on it." The group was instantly silent as a small giggle escaped April's lips.

A little more attention had now gathered from a few more students, now interested in the heated debate that shouldn't have started in the first place.

I already knew that anger had gotten the best of me when this wasn't who I was. Isabella may irritate me more than the whole school put together, but it was not in my nature to bring myself down to her level.