Chapter 55

It was late in the evening by the time I finally left Josh's house, my heart continuing to flutter whenever I thought about the day we spent together. For someone that convinced himself that he wasn't romantic, there was a struggle for me to believe him.

He'd bought us snacks to binge on all day for watching various movies on Netflix, all the while keeping me cuddled up in front of him, my head positioned perfectly onto his chest and tucked by his shoulder.

Mom was cleaning up the kitchen when I finally walked back through the door to the house. Her lips perked up into a smile since she'd been waiting for an update on Josh as soon as I'd mistakenly let it slip that we were dating.

"How was your day?"

"It was nice," I smiled happily, remembering every part of it, "how was yours?"

"To hell with my day, I did nothing. I want to know all about yours."

"Mom," I eyed her warily as she stepped back, holding up her arms in surrender, "it was a nice day." She scrunched her nose, mimicking an emotion of awe before continuing with her assault of the kitchen.

It was pleasant to see that she was gradually getting over my father, although it seemed to be the fact that she was getting over it rather swiftly than I'd expected. When they were together, I'd occasionally come home to her tears, forcing me to provide the comfort that I knew should've been reversed in some ways. But now, she was happier than ever, as if my father was never a contender in her happiness.

"I think I'm going to go to bed," she nodded before reappearing in front of me. However, she looked a little suspicious now, somewhat revealing the cause for her unexpected happiness, "what is it?"

"I have a surprise for you," I raised my eyebrows, questioning her already, "which you will find out tomorrow night."

"Can it wait until after my run?"

There wasn't a single person that knew about my training with Mason, but it wasn't something I was ready to miss out on after his revelation about my progress. The thoughts of competing continued to strike my mind, slowly convincing me that it was a good idea.

"Of course, honey! Just make sure you're home in the evening sometime." I nodded with scepticism, unsure whether her sudden happiness about the surprise was something to be wary of or excited about.

As I made my way up the stairs to my room, I checked my phone to see that Josh had already texted, even given the fact that I'd left him not ten minutes ago.

Are you home safe?

My heart simply flattered again at his concern for me, a feeling I was still attempting to get used to but failing every time words would leave his lips or texts would come through from him.

Yeah, I'm home safe, I hope you're not missing me too much

We continued to text, the words flowing better with the comfort I was gradually beginning to feel around his company.

I think you're mistaking me for someone else

Keep telling yourself that

I continued to smile down at my phone, not before realising what I was actually doing. In the space of what had only felt like a few weeks yet was more like months, I had fallen hard for this boy. However, I couldn't help the overwhelming feeling that I didn't really know him.