Chapter 57

"I've been round your house enough times to know that it should not take that long to get from your bedroom to the front door."

Tyler seemed to stay persistent with his argument as to why it had taken so long for both Josh and I to finally find everyone waiting impatiently at the door, all carrying heavy bottles of alcohol to which we apologised for, multiple times.

"And also—"

"Tyler, man, leave it." Harvey patted his back sternly and sent a smirk in Josh's direction, to which they both understood like a pair of mismatched brothers. "I'm sure Josh and Savannah had a very good reason for taking longer than necessary to reach the door."

I felt my cheeks grow ultimately redder the more everyone laughed with understanding, Tom included. "Ok, let's stop talking about this now." I announced and turned to Josh with an irritated look, one he managed to take more seriously than before.

His hand found the small of my back, providing comfort in a time when I desperately wanted to elbow him in the baby-maker and the item I recently had my lips wrapped round upstairs.

I moved from his grasp and poured myself a drink, standing closer to where April and Valentina now were. "I didn't realise Josh lived in a house like this," Valentina continued to observe, snooping around the room she was in by lifting various containers and opening cabinets to find out more, "you struck a lucky one."

She sent me a wink to which I rolled my eyes with familiarity, an action I had grown used to with her comments.

"I didn't strike anything," we were speaking with hushed voices as the boys continued a different conversation, "it's just been nice getting to know him." I brought my drink up to my lips to hide the obvious smile holding my features together.

"Yeah, sounds nice," there was a humorous hidden meaning to her words, yet I chose to ignore them and look back over to where Josh was now laughing at something Tom was telling them.

I was seeing a very different side to him, one he'd show around me and now slowly shifting into showing every else. My heart easily warmed when his eyes met mine mid-laugh, causing his smile to widen, something I was still struggling to hide my blush over.

"Come on, let's go sit outside," Tyler spoke with disclosed irritation as everyone followed his lead to the backyard, a place I had yet to set my eyes on, but with an expectation I knew would be exceeded.

And of course, what we were welcomed with was a beautiful outdoor space, decorated with various comfortable chairs and a fire-pit, one that Josh was now fixing to light up. We carried our drinks over, all taking up a space while I saved one beside me.

It was difficult to imagine a time when this area would be used. With the strained relationship between Josh and his mother, I couldn't picture a moment that they would sit out here together, unless it was used more when his dad was around. My heart warmed when Josh sent me another one of his smiles as the fire started. He held his beer tightly in his hand as he walked over to sit beside me, pulling me in tight with his arm around my waist.

There was a likeliness in his eyes when I looked up at him, still in disbelief that this boy was with me. There were hundreds of girls around the school I could imagine him wanting more, yet he was here, beside me.

"I heard Ryan and Isabella are back together," Valentina mentioned as she brought her cup up to her lips.

"They looked cosy the other day outside the cafeteria," Josh added, reminding me of their stupid comments, "I can't quite remember what I saw in that girl."