Chapter 47

As I pulled my car up onto the same patch of grass I was growing familiar to, I felt my heart grow a little heavier. Maybe it was because I'd always felt so far away from Josh, even when he was fighting, yet with what had happened between us, I felt closer to him and even more anxious with what he was about to do.

I warily eyed the place where everyone was now crowding, not wanting to leave my car. I texted Valentina to tell her that I was here, mostly because I wasn't too keen on walking by myself, especially with my track record here.

The thoughts of Jack ran through my mind for barely a second before I shoved them to the back of my head again.

Valentina and April arrived a few minutes later, directing me over to Harvey's car where Josh was preparing himself. I felt rather nervous to see him, mostly due to his irritation earlier when he'd seen through my lie about this evening. I knew he was easily annoyed, and that was just something I needed to get used to.

When I saw him, however, it was a completely different story.

I watched at his eyes continued to search around the fields, assuming to be waiting for me to arrive. And once our gazes met, he looked to let out a deep breath, relief flooding both his features and mine.

With a small smile, I finally reached where he was stood, just before he wrapped his arms around me, oblivious to what everyone else was thinking as they watched our interaction. "Hey."

"Hey." I smiled once I looked up at him again.

He kept me close as he began closing up the car to begin his fight. "How was your dad?" I furrowed my eyebrows, something he managed to spot before I eventually realised what he was talking about.

"Oh yeah, he was fine."

There was dejection in Josh's features as he loosened his grip on me and moved away to talk to Harvey, Tyler and Henry. My stomach sunk at his loss of contact, noticed especially by April and Valentina when I walked with them to the pits.

I was growing more and more tired of his ever-changing attitude with anything I said, but I knew that I couldn't complain when I was the one lying.

We all managed to shove through the mirage of sweaty bodies, pushing to the front where Josh was now standing with us, telling Tyler something. "—not let her out of your sight." I'd managed to hear the last few words, knowing almost instantly that it was about me.

"Really Josh?" I spoke, but my words were lost once he placed a comforting kiss to my head, holding me tightly against him before letting go and stepping further into the pits. Tyler then turned to me with a grin, acting as if I hadn't just been the very topic of conversation.

Josh finally moved from us fully and positioned himself for the fight, against another guy looking a very similar height and build as Josh, making it more of an even playing field. He simply glared at his opponent, threatening him with just the use of his gaze alone.

My eyes scrunched closed as the fight was called to begin. I could do nothing but stare down at my feet, hearing the grunts from both Josh and the other guy. I wasn't sure how I could feel so comfortable fighting Mason in the gym when I could barely look at the one happening right in front of me.

But timing ended up being a cruel reminder of what was in front of me as I opened my eyes, just to see Josh slamming his fists into the guy, now on the floor.