Chapter 31

"There he is!" April mentioned with an enthusiastic pointed finger as she slipped her arm into mine and brought us towards Henry, waiting for us on the bleachers of the gym.

The planned assembly had been formed by our biology teacher with the other class in the grade to tell us what was going to happen when we went away next week.

"I didn't know they did biology." I whispered to April at seeing Harvey and Josh walking through the double doors before searching for available seats. I threw my hand slightly over my eyes as to avoid them seeing us, but Henry had managed to draw all the attention to us by waving his hands out to them.

Josh eventually perched down on the seat beside me and sent me a small, knowing smile.

I was somehow still feeling awkward from what I had told him about Ryan. But Josh had reacted very differently to how I'd expected him to. He hadn't lost his temper or made himself angry; instead he had kept me at a much closer distance, ensuring that even if he wanted to, Ryan wouldn't be able to get anywhere near me.

I nervously smiled back before waiting for our teacher to begin speaking. However, it soon became very obvious that Miss Johnson loved the sound of her voice by the way she wouldn't stop.

"This assembly is just to finalise the trip to Australia next week. For those that still haven't finished their paying instalments, I ask that they be completed by Friday at the latest, or you will not be going on the trip. Rooms will be allocated on the day we arrive, but if you have not put in your requests, you will be randomly allocated into a room with a spare bed." I rolled my eyes at her continuous talking until I felt my eyes grow heavy. "In case you weren't already aware, it is strictly an educational trip and therefore, free time will be available in the evenings but everyone will be accounted for at all times."

She continued on as I sensed a few people drifting off mid-sentence. "This educational trip is just the kind of break that I need." April whispered as I turned and grinned.

"I've never been more excited for one."

The both of us laughed quietly before Miss Johnson spoke more about the biology we would actually be doing there. We were meant to be creating transects and measuring a variety of species diversity, but I'm pretty sure that just about everyone had forgotten about that particular aspect, and were instead focusing on the sole fact that we were going to be in Australia.

We all listened to Miss Johnson's rambling for a few more minutes until we were all dismissed late enough to wait around for lunch.

I sat down in my usual seat across from Josh as everyone else sat down in their respective places. Harvey had pulled up his phone and had it positioned on the table for the rest of us to see. "They have hundreds of college parties on all the time there." He scrolled through random Facebook pages to find one to best suit his needs. "As long as Johnson doesn't catch us, we could get into one of them."

"We wouldn't get into any of them." April muttered, gathering all of our attention and saying exactly what I was thinking. "Johnson is like a hawk. We wouldn't even be able to slip past her if she was dead asleep."

Henry sat back up from looking at Harvey's phone and switched his gaze to April. "This is Australia, April. Let loose." She scowled before looking back down at her hands.

"Maybe."

I then looked over to a smirking Josh, directed towards me.

God help me on this trip.

The next few days went by pretty quickly when all I could think about was the trip. But that excitement soon died down slightly on the morning of the trip when I had mistakenly said yes to my mother wanting to help.