Life 1 - Chapter 6

I gripped the edges of my podium tightly.  I could still hardly believe Jess was dead.  And the most terrifying part is that...someone in here did it....

I heard Husky sigh.  "There's no way around this.  Let's just get this over with.  Jerome, can you tell us your story?"

I shakily nodded and looked around at everyone.  "I was lying in bed thinking about how today was the day secrets were revealed.  I was thinking about it so much, I couldn't go back to sleep.  My eyes had adjusted to the darkness.  I decided to get up and get some fish.  I got up out of bed and looked at the clock.  4:30 AM.  I walked out of my room and into the Grand Hall.  Nothing was disturbed and the door to the kitchen was closed.  I walked into the kitchen, which was abnormally dark.  I made it to the fridge and opened it, pulling a couple fish out.  I turned around as the door shut, and I swore I saw something.  I opened the fridge again and saw her.  I dropped my fish and just sat on the floor for a while.  I was shocked.  I was horrified.  I stood up and went to Mitch's room.  I woke him up and brought him to the kitchen.  By then, it was around 5:50 AM.  We both came back to the dorm hall to wake everyone up."  I took a deep breath.  "That's about it."

Husky nodded and turned to Ian, who was right next to him.  "You said you baked the cake?"  Ian nodded.  "Can you tell us what you did?"  "Yeah.  It was around 9:45 PM when I felt the extreme tension throughout the place.  I decided to bake a cake for everyone to eat in the morning.  I went around the kitchen and grabbed all the ingredients I needed.  I mixed it all up and put it all in the cake pan.  I put that in the oven to bake.  By that point, it was 10:30 PM.  I opened the fridge so I could have some light.  I wandered around the kitchen for a while, checking out all the cabinets and drawers and crevices.  After a couple hours, the cake was done.  I took it out of the oven and set it down on the counter.  It was 12:30 AM.  I placed a small knife by the cake so we could start cutting it in the morning.  I then went to bed."

Seto frowned.  "We checked out Ian's room in our searches in the dorm hall.  He had a bunch of sunglasses, but...one had a missing lens."

Ian tilted his head in confusion.  "Huh?"

Husky's eyes popped as he pulled something out of his back pocket.  It was a small black shard.  "I found this by Jess."  He walked over to Ian and put it next to his sunglasses.  They were the same shade.  Husky then went up to Sky, the only other one with glasses.  Sky's glasses were lighter that the shard.

Mitch gasped.  "Ian...did you kill Jess?"

Ian frowned but stayed calm.  "No...I didn't.  I have nothing to gain by killing anyone."

"Besides people finding out your secret?"

"Dood, I didn't kill her!"  Ian was starting to get angry.

"Woah, woah, woah.  Let's calm down a bit here."  I cautioned.  I held my hands up in a surrender gesture.  "Let's not jump to conclusions just yet.  Sure, Ian's glasses and the shard match, but how do we know if he actually did it?  He could be framed."

"My door was locked like everyone else's."

Crainer whispered kinda loudly into Ian's ear.  "Dude, you're not helping your case."

"I DIDN'T DO IT!"  Ian yelled.  We all jumped at his sudden outburst.  He never got like that.

"Ian...you're acting very strange...."  Nick muttered.

"NO DIP.  WHO WANTS TO BE ACCUSED!?!?"  Ian screamed.

"Ian...CALM.  DOWN."  I commanded.

Ian clinched his fists before taking deep breaths.  "I.  Didn't.  Do.  It."  He emphasized.

"But...Ian, we need evidence that you weren't the one."  Jin said sadly.

Ian's eyes went wide.  "I...I don't have evidence!  How can I have evidence if I didn't even know I was gonna be accused!?  I could've used the time to search for evidence defending me!"

"...Ian...."  I muttered.

"HEHEHEHEHE!!!!  Things are getting a little heated here, boyo!"  MonoKirby laughed.  I jumped at his creepy voice.  I forgot he was here.  "So, have you guys made your decisions?  You ready to vote the murderer out?"

"Wha...WAIT!"  Ian cried.  "YOU CAN'T ACCUSE ME.  WE'LL ALL DIE!!"

Suddenly, the podiums' tops slid back to reveal 15 buttons, each with a person's name.

I looked around at everyone and saw who exactly they were blaming.  I'm sorry, Ian....

I pressed Ian's name.

The podiums' tops slid back forward.  "HEHEHEHE!!!  Seems the vote is unanimous, boyo."

A slot machine rose from the ground in the center of the circle.  Ian was freaking out.  "Nonononononononono...we're all gonna die...we're all gonna die...."

The slots had a person's face on it.  MonoKirby hopped on the lever and spun the machine.

*CHINK*  Ian.  *CHINK*  Ian.  *CHINK*  Ian.

A sign popped up with words that shocked me.

INNOCENT

"HEHEHEHEHE!!!!  Y'all chose wrong, boyo!  Ian is innocent!  The correct answer was Ty!"

Ty laughed manically.  "Wha...TY, WHY!?"  I yelped.

"I was testing your hope and despair.  I waited it out for the 6 days and no one did anything.  So, I killed the first person I could!  Jess!"

Ian's head was in his hands.

"How...did you get in my room...."  Ian whimpered.

"I have my ways."  Ty smirked.

"BOYO!  Talk time is over!  Time to die!"  MonoKirby produced a controller with a single button on it.  Before anyone could react, he pushed the button.

The floor slid out from beneath me and everyone else except Ty.

I fell, screaming in terror.

I looked down and saw...Oh God....  Lava.

Ty's maniacal laughter rang through the air as the 14 innocents fell to their death.  I closed my eyes and braced myself for intense pain.

The heat got greater and greater and...stopped.

The heat disappeared.

What the....

I opened my eyes and saw nothing but white.  No rock walls, no lava, no people.  I could see myself, but that was it.  "H-Hello?"  I called.

A cloud appeared in front of me and began swirling.  I yelped and jumped back.

The cloud dissipated to reveal a human figure.  The features were distorted, so I couldn't tell if it was a boy or girl.

"Oh, Jerome...you lost a life."  The figure spoke.  It was a girl's voice.

"Where...am I?"

She turned her figure to me.

"Jerome...welcome to Limbo."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>:D