Life 2 - Chapter 16

I sighed heavily. "You've got to be kidding me...." I muttered.

Mitch looked at me. "Seriously."

He looked at Quentin, who was investigating Nick's body.

"What do we know?" He asked.

Quentin looked up. "Oh, Mitch, Jerome! Glad you two are doing well. We've got a crudely made stake here." He pointed at the stake. "I can tell because there are many splinters around each puncture, suggesting that it wasn't carved, but rather ripped off something."

"Do we know what?" I asked.

Quentin shook his head. "We found him about 7 minutes ago, which leaves us 8."

Mitch whispered in my ear. "If we get through this alive, I...need to talk with you about some things."

I nodded.

Felix, who had been looking at Nick, turned to us. "You two can go ahead and wait if you'd like in the Grand Hall."

I shifted my legs a bit and winced at the sting. "Yeah, good idea."

Mitch helped me walk to the Grand Hall. The clock that was in there said 4:56 P.M. Ian, Crainer, and Seto were searching around the Grand Hall.

Mitch helped me lean up against the wall. I couldn't exactly sit down because the table and chairs seemed to disappear when the...circle thing appeared.

Seto came over. "Hey, Jerome. Glad to see you doing better."

I smirked. "It takes a lot to kill a bacca."

He nodded. "Ross told us. Me, Ross, and Nick helped you because Mitch got us. He told us a bacca fact that really helped. You know, you having 11 pints of blood instead of 8 like a human."

I pursed my lips. "I...uhh...didn't know that."

Mitch and Seto laughed. I frowned. "What? I'm a bacca of Hunger Deens, not Fact Wars!"

"DING-A-LING, DING-A-LING, BOYO!! Time's up! Head to the Grand Hall for the second Castle Trial!"

Mitch, Seto, and I looked at the table as a hole in the ground beneath it opened up. Something about the layout, though, didn't look right. Something was out of place. The table and chairs sunk into the hole as it closed up. A circular hole then opened up as the 16 podiums in a circle rose.

"Huh. So that's where the table goes." I said.

Mitch chuckled lightly. "One mystery down, six kajillion more to figure out."

I leaned back on his shoulder as he led me to my podium. "Seriously." I muttered. I leaned against the side of it as he went to his place.

The set-up was similar to the last but with 2 new paintings to the mix.

Ty and Nick.

Once everyone filed in...MonoKirby appeared.

"HEHEHEHEHE!! Let the Castle Trial...BEGIN! BOYO!"

Quentin took the lead. "In my opinion, I believe we should start with Jerome's attacker. I...don't think we can execute them...yet, but we can keep our eyes on them." He then looked at me. "Jerome, are you comfortable with telling us what happened?"

Cool. He knows psychological things.

I nodded. "I had went to bed last night and had a...dream-memory. I think it was of my old home. My parents were there and there was an attack, resulting with me becoming an orphan. At some point near the end of it, a feminine voice told me to wake up because I was in danger. I woke up and sensed someone in my room. I was still for a few seconds before I bolted up and tried to get away. That obviously didn't work as they knocked me out. I woke up again to find myself tied up. I tried getting out when the person put a sharp object, most likely a knife, on my face. They were whispering, and their voice was cracking."