Chapter X: The Witch & The Hermit

Dick followed Roy on his bike down the street that eventually turned from the main road to a small ghetto. When they left the coffee shop, it was 12:30 PM. It took them over an hour to get out of Central Gotham & make their way towards the Narrows. Once they did, it was a few minutes past 2:00 PM. Dick felt like the entire day had passed and he wasn't sure why he even decided to go out with Roy.

The two eventually slowed to a block that was home to old vintage shops. Some sold old antique items, some sold old clothing. There was an old movie theatre a few doors down, & a couple doors away from that was a shop called "Giovanni's".

Dick slowed his bike to a stop next to Roy. "That's the place, huh?" Dick asked.

Roy nodded. "Yeah, this is it."

Dick looked up at the sign above the door. "For a psychic, you would think he'd be creative with another name for the place."

Roy turned to Dick, raising a questioning eyebrow. "Well, what would YOU name it?"

Dick thought about it. He couldn't come up with another name. "Shut up," he mumbled.

Dick sat up from his motorcycle & stepped onto the curb. He looked back at Roy, who was still on his bike. "Are you coming?" Dick asked.

Roy shook his head. "When I went & got my reading, the dude had said it was good to be alone because there's less auras clouding the telepathic something."

Dick let out a sigh. He felt nervous about going to see the psychic alone. "Fine, how long will it take?"

Roy shrugged. "It took me a little over an hour."

Dick nodded. He looked up at the door. There was tons of stickers & posters of abstract symbols. Some looked like stars & moons. Some looked like Aramaic script. The lighting inside of the windows looked dim. He didn't feel anymore comfortable going inside. He had driven all the way out there, though. He might as well go through it.

Dick walked to the door and pushed it open, startled by the bell above the door ringing. The first thing Dick noticed going in was the smell. It was an old stench, as if everything in the store was ancient. Dick coughed for a moment, choking on the thick musty air & shut the door behind him. The air itself had dust flying around in the light rays that shone through the windows.

Dick had to take a moment for his eyes to adjust to the dim lighting. He noticed the tall shelves filled with books with dead languages as titles & jars covered with clothes & labeled in more dead languages. He looked up at a wall, which was entirely covered by a painting of constellations. It was incredibly artistic and beautiful, using dark blue & black colors with the most subtle hint of white to represent the stars.

"Hello?" Dick called, his voice unable to echo in the cramped store. There was small round tables with older books on stands for sale, & a few decks of cards. There was also a few accessories like expensive looking jewelry & rings. Dick went over to touch a blue band that had an engraved symbol that resembled a golden bird. It sat on a table next to a phonograph that also caught Dick's attention. Jack Haly used to have one in his office.

"Like what you see?" said a woman's voice from behind Dick. Dick turned to see a young pretty girl with jet black hair stretching down past her shoulders standing by a doorway in the back of the shop. She wore a black blazer with a white button up under it, & tight black skinny jeans. She had her arms crossed and was leaning against the door. She had a sly grin across her face. "That one is a family heirloom from Abraham Lincoln," she said, nodding at the phonograph.

Dick glanced back down at the vintage record player then back up at the girl. Her grin stretched into a huge smile, then she giggled. "Dude, I'm kidding," she admitted.