Chapter XXIV: I Let the Devil Out

Viewer discretion is advised.

A few days had passed since the Gotham Academy bombing. Bruce Wayne had talked to Dick about the situation. He apologized for not being there for Dick when he should have been, but claims to have had been busy with some business in Coast City. Dick didn't care. Getting emotional comfort from Bruce wasn't exactly his priority.

Alfred tended to Dick, feeding him soup & other stress relieving remedies. Dick disregarded the efforts and began to work out in the gym & run around the Wayne property. Dick appreciated the thought behind Alfred's nursing, but in Dick's mind, soup & tea wouldn't fix a damn thing. Getting stronger would.

Barbara began to visit more & more after the bombing. She started to have this mindset of life being too short to not take advantage of the good things in it. It was difficult for Dick to consider himself a good thing in someone's life, but...it was a good feeling. A sense of being wanted; it was something Dick had not experienced before.

Dick worked out his plan to get to Nolan Drake again. He would infiltrate the research facility providing Cobblepot & Nolan with their weaponry, & from there, he could stop the weapons operation & in turn, stop the city siege that Nolan was planning. But to get to Cadmus, the research facility, Dick would need to find the one who knew about Cadmus: Enigma.

Dick had already spoken to Jim Gordon about the text messages. He explained that the "Enigma" texter may have useful intel in regards to Nolan Drake's weapons, but he made sure not to mention the name "Cadmus" to Gordon. Alarming the GCPD about a teenage sociopathic terrorist gaining chemical weapons from a military science research facility would raise way too many suspicions. However, Jim Gordon had enough to go with in order to help Dick with the texts.

Jim Gordon had his technical team in the department work on decrypting the source of the text messages. They couldn't pinpoint the exact address, but Gordon managed to send Dick a street name in Coventry, passed the Upper East side of Gotham. Gordon advised Dick to check anywhere in a 5 block radius of the initial address.

Dick spent the morning with Barbara in the backyard of Wayne Manor. The back of the Manor consisted of a vast and open garden with a large field towards the edge of the garden. The garden was decorated with large trees with beautiful & exotic flowers, sculptures designed out of large bushes several feet tall taking the form of animals & people, & bushes of flowers set along the the walkways of the garden.

Dick led Barbara from the Manor towards a small patio with a glass ceiling that stood as a canopy with marble poles holding the glass up. The patio was decorated with a thin cement block which served as a table, & cushioned chairs surrounding 3 sides of the slab table with a long curved couch surrounding the other side. Dick sat Barbara down on the couch, which was incredibly cushioned & layered with throw pillows & a soft blanket with an intricate scenic landscape printed on it with authentic stitching. Barbara swung her legs onto the couch and laid on her side. She slid the blanket over her lower body & rested her head on the couch arm.

Dick sat beside Barbara's legs and lifted them up to reset them over his lap. He began to caress Barbara's calves. Dick took a deep breath and exhaled as he shut his eyes and rested his head against the back of the couch.

"Hmm," Barbara moaned to herself. "You should massage my feet."

Dick opened his eyes slowly & rolled them. With a slight smirk on his face, he went ahead & began massaging the feet resting beside his lap.

Barbara began humming to herself. "You're so amazing, Dick. Really, you are."

Dick shook his head softly. "No, not really," he said meekly.