Chapter XXXI: Normal

Dick stepped out of the shower the next morning & wrapped the towel around his waist. He stepped through the steaming bathroom & stood in front of the foggy mirror. He used his hand to wipe away the steam & look at his reflection. He ran his fingers through his hair & rested against the edge of the sink, using his palms to prop himself up. He sighed.

Dick had been able to sneak everyone into their own rooms the night before. He was lucky that Bruce hadn't seen any of the teenagers. Logan had asked Dick where Rachel was sleeping. Dick shook his head & ignored the question. In the end, Logan had snuck out & gone into Victor's room, who he instantly hit it off with. Everyone else had slept separately.

By the time Dick managed to sneak everyone to sleep, he was exhausted. He didn't consider running into Alfred, who had been waiting outside of Dick's bedroom.

Dick groaned. "What, man?" Dick asked.

Alfred shook his head. "Sneaking in delinquents late at this hour, Master Grayson?"

Dick shook his head. "Don't tell Bruce, & I'll explain."

Alfred shook his head. "No need to explain. Master Bruce is currently in Metropolis attending a business meeting."

Dick raised an eyebrow. "Metropolis?"

"Yes," Alfred nodded. "He left early this afternoon. He's attempting to successfully sign a contract in regards to his current merge with Lexcorp, trying to secure his assets."

Dick nodded. "Fascinating," he said sarcastically. "How long will he be gone?"

Alfred shook his head. "Just a day or two," he answered. "In the meantime, I will do my best to keep quiet about your guests as long as you assure me that they will not cause any sort of ruckus or severe damage to the property."

Dick nodded. "Totally dude, you got it."

Alfred stepped aside from the bedroom door, then quickly spoke again. "I've already endured teenage parties when raising Master Bruce. I hope I won't have to clean up any messes of the sort with this group."

Dick stepped towards the door & shook his head. "No, man, it's not like that." Dick turned back to Alfred. "Thanks, Al, for being cool about this. Goodnight."

Alfred smiled softly. "Of course. I encourage you to enjoy yourself while you still can. Being this lively during your youth is incredibly important in a teenage boy's life. Sadly, Master Bruce was never able to completely enjoy himself after he lost his parents. He wouldn't let himself. Not truly, anyway."

Dick stared at Alfred. He had been through alot with Bruce; that much was clear now. He knew what Bruce was like as a child. He made Bruce seem like such a downer compared to how Bruce lived now. The playboy billionaire led an extravagant lifestyle, & it seemed as though nothing would ever be wrong for Bruce. Dick shrugged the thoughts away as Alfred slowly made his way down the long spiral stairs. He went to sleep somewhat peacefully that night.

Dick nodded to himself as he stared in the mirror at his reflection the next morning. He felt calmer, now. He felt good about what he had done. For Kori, for Victor, Logan, all of them. He had given them a roof over their head for the night. Dick saw his reflection smile softly. He felt genuine. He was happy.

Dick stepped from the mirror & walked out of the bathroom door. He went to his bed where he had some jeans & a t-shirt laid already laid out. He began to dress himself, then sat down on the bed. He began to check his phone for any messages. He had none. No Roy, no Harper, & no Barbara. Not even Gordon or Bruce left him any sort of messages. Dick suddenly realized how small his group of friends was. Then the thought struck him. Suddenly...he considered that he had actual friends. Not just...acquaintances. The idea made him smile.