Chapter Sixteen

((I would like to dedicate this chapter to some of my best readers, who always vote and comment! thanks for being so awesome Sarahrito773 EliMooo Awkwardbandninja Mendes_Lachowski_16))

Ian's words echo in my mind.

I look at him, and he looks back, his eyes pleading.

Suddenly, a lump forms in the back of my throat. I try to force it down, but my emotions overtake me and a tear rolls down my cheek.

"Tessa..." he says quietly, reaching his hand through the bars, as if he could touch me.

Another tear rolls down my cheek.

"I'm sorry about everything I did. I was stupid and I overreacted. And I understand if you don't forgive me for what I did," he says, his eyes still locked into mine.

I stare at him for a moment, then turn away, the lump in my throat growing bigger.

I don't know what to say. Everything has just been so crazy the past few days, and I am a jumbled mess of emotions. But something about hearing Ian's voice again stirs something deep inside of me. I look back up to him, tears pooling up in my eyes and blurring my vision.

"It's okay Ian. I forgive you," I say softly.

He looks at me for another moment, his gaze penetrating. Then, his mouth breaks into a small, genuine smile. I give him a weak smile back. And in that moment, I want to be in his arms again. I want to feel his soft lips on mine again. He reaches his hands out further from between his bars, reaching out towards me. I reach my one of my hands out as well, as if the space between us didn't exist and I could touch him.

I hear another muffled sob from next to me and I turn to see Tristan, who is still sitting down with his head in his hands.

After glancing at Ian one more time, I walk over towards him, putting my face up to the bars.

"Tristan," I say.

He looks up at me, his eyes red and his face tear-stained.

"We're going to be okay," I lie.

He looks at me, then shakes his head.

"Tessa, why are we in these cages? Who are these horrible people?" he asks, his voice trembling.

If I knew the answer, I would tell him. But of course, I do not.

"I don't know. But at least we're all still alive," I say, trying to sound as optimistic as I can, even though the pit of despair in my stomach is threatening to swallow me.

He looks at me with his red eyes, sniffing.

"I'm sorry you have to see me like this," he whispers quietly, looking down again.

"Tristan, don't be sorry about anything," I say, trying to sound as reassuring as possible.

He nods, then leans against the back of his cage, closing his eyes for a moment.

I turn back to see Ian, still facing me, his hands wrapped around the bars of his cage.

"So, how did they capture you two?" I hear Dylan's voice ask from behind me.

He is still laying down on the floor of his cage, tossing a rock up and down repeatedly.

"They had a boat out in the water, off of the coast. Tristan and I thought they were rescuers, so we swam out to the them, and then...they got us. I should of known that no one was coming to rescue us. We're on an remote island in the middle of the ocean; no one will find us," I say sadly.