Chapter Thirty Nine

((hello! Desolation reached over 20k reads today! yay!!! I hope that you all enjoy this chapter; I think you guys will really like this one. And the cliffhanger at the end may leave you guys falling off of your chair hahahaha! don't forget to vote and comment!))

My heart skips a beat as he stares at me, his crystal blue eyes locked with mine. I open my mouth then close it, completely speechless. Immediately, his cheeks burn red and he looks down at his feet.

"Tristan, I...," I start to say, my voice sounding foreign to me.

I honestly don't know what to say. He just told me that he loved me. What am I supposed to say to him?

My heart breaks when I realize that I cannot return those three words back to him.

"I...um...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that I...," he mumbles, his cheeks burning even brighter.

"It's okay Tristan," I say softly.

He stares at the ground and swallows hard.

"Forget about it, it was stupid of me to say that. I understand why you're taken aback; we've only been together for a week on this island and I barely know you," he says hurriedly.

He is obviously humiliated; I can tell by the way he is avoiding eye contact with me. I don't want him to feel this way, so I lightly place my hand on top of his. He immediately looks up at me, a pained expression on his face. I compose myself, then say,

"Tristan, don't be sorry. We're all just really troubled and confused. I can barely get a grip on my feelings either."

I look at him earnestly, hoping that he won't take what I just said in a bad way. To my relief, he nods, then says,

"Okay."

Before I can respond, I hear the snapping of a twig and look up to see Ian, standing across from us. He is glaring at us and it takes me a few moments to realize why. When I see that he is staring at our hands, I finally realize why.

"What the hell is going on over here?" he asks sharply, his dark eyes glaring at my hand, which is resting upon Tristan's.

Instinctively, I pull my hand off of his. This is all just a big misunderstanding.

"Ian, it's not what you think...," I start.

But before I can explain myself, Ian cuts me off.

"Oh, I think it is what I think it is. I see the two of you together. The way that you look at each other. The way that you always go and comfort him Tessa," he says bitterly.

"Ian, what are you talking about?!" I exclaim, standing up from the rock.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about Tessa," Ian says.

"No, I don't!" I shout.

"I'm talking about you two. Don't lie to me Tessa, I know that you want to be with him," Ian says.

I have never seen him be this irrational ever before. Something seems off about him. The anger in his eyes is so intense that I feel that if I look at him too long, his gaze will set my eyes on fire.

"Ian, you are overreacting and you know it! There is nothing going on between us!" I exclaim.

All that he does is shake his head. I begin to walk towards him, but he instantly turns around and storms away.

"Ian...," I call out.

But he continues to walk away, disappearing into the thick foliage of the jungle. I swallow hard, trying to push down the huge lump that has formed in the back of my throat. Tears well up in my eyes as I collapse onto the ground.