Chapter Thirty Eight

((whoops haha i just posted chapter 39 by accident so i had to take it down and put this back up. ahh thank you all so much for your votes and comments on this story! i truly enjoy reading all of them!! i hope that you enjoy this chapter! and also, Desolation was ranked #4 in adventure today!! woohoo!!))

My heart stops.

"Tristan?" the girl asks again, her voice hoarse.

I look up at Tristan, who is looking down at her with wide eyes.

"Er...yeah?" he asks, shock evident in his tone.

"Is that really you?" she asks dazedly.

Tristan nods, confusion and surprise painted on his face. The girl sits up slightly, propping herself up on her elbows. When she looks at him, her eyes light up.

"I can't believe I actually found you," she murmurs.

The rest of us all stare at each other, unsure of what to say. Ian's eyes lock with mine and he looks at me, raising his eyebrows.

"Um...you were looking for me?" Tristan asks hesitantly.

The girl looks back at Tristan, her dark eyes meeting with his.

"Of course I was. My name is Eve and I'm here to rescue you, Tristan," she says.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on a second. You're here to rescue only Tristan?" Dylan asks incredulously.

Eve turns and looks at Dylan, confusion on her face.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know who any of you are actually," she says, looking around at the rest of us.

I am so confused right now.

"Tell me right now, what the hell is going on!" Dylan shouts.

"I'm here on specific orders to rescue Tristan Reyes. Age nineteen, blue eyes, dirty-blond hair," Eve says.

She then reaches into her pocket and pulls out a photo, showing it to us. I lean in to see a picture of a boy. Although blurry and faded, it is definitely a picture of Tristan. He is smiling, his bright blue eyes shining even in the picture.

"Orders from who?!" Dylan asks.

"I'm afraid that's confidential," Eve says, putting the photo back away.

"What are you talking about!! Confidential?! I swear to God I...,"

Nikki immediately cuts Dylan off, pressing her hand over his face. If we want to get any information, Dylan should not be the one talking.

"I'm sorry about him. It's just that we're all a little confused right now," Nikki says hurriedly.

"A little confused?! I'm freaking a lot confused!" Dylan shouts.

Nikki shuts him up by cupping her hand over his mouth again.

"It's just that we all have been kidnapped on this island, and we're just confused why you came here to rescue only Tristan," Nikki says.

Eve looks at Nikki, then says,

"I'm sorry, but I received strict orders from my boss to rescue only Tristan Reyes. If I were allowed to, I would rescue you all, but my helicopter only has room for one other person and that person must be Tristan," Eve explains.

"Um...but your helicopter is kind of destroyed," I say.

Eve looks at me, her dark eyes locking with mine.

"I know. That's quite a problem, isn't it?" she says.

I nod awkwardly, unsure how to reply.

Eve turns back to Tristan.