Chapter Fifty

((hope you guys enjoy this chapter!! and don't kill me for the cliffhanger at the end hahaha))

I am unable to move, completely frozen in shock and horror at the sight of the barrel of Hal's gun pressed to Tristan's temple. Hal continues to grin at me with that wicked grin that I know so well and want to wipe off his face. He is no longer in his wheelchair anymore and instead is standing with a large bandage wrapped around his leg.

"This is quite a shock, isn't it?" Hal sneers, widening his grin and revealing his set of crooked, yellow teeth.

It's as if my mouth is glued together; I can't utter any words. All that I can do is stare at Tristan. He looks back at me, his wide, fearful eyes burning into mine. 

"What's going on out there?" one of the men calls from inside the closet.

A few moments later all of the men come out of the closet and turn to the see the sight at the end of the hallway. Immediately, all of them raise their guns, pointing them at Hal and Tristan. Hal begins to laugh, a malicious, throaty cackle that reverberates off the walls and ceiling. I can literally feel the bile rising up in my throat.

"Put the gun down," the commander says curtly, aiming his gun straight at Hal.

"You first," Hal says, smiling and raising his eyebrows.

"Please cooperate with me. We won't lower our guns  until you remove yours  from Tristan's head," the commander says.

I can hear a subtle hint of desperation in his voice.

Hal shakes his head.

"I'm afraid that's not going to work," Hal says caustically.

"Please...don't hurt him," I murmur, looking into Hal's eyes.

Hal stares at me for a few moments, his icy gray eyes locked with mine. 

"There's only one way that I'll let him go," Hal says suddenly.

"And what is that?" the commander asks slowly.

Hal smiles, and I instantly know that what he is about to say is not going to be good.

"If you agree to my one little condition, I'll let him go. I'll let all of you go actually. I'll let all of you leave this island and you never have to come back again."

"What is the condition?" the commander asks.

"I keep Tessa on the island here with me."

My stomach drops as a wave of nausea passes over me. This cannot be happening right now. 

"No way. You're not taking her," the commander says flatly.

"Well, then I guess I'm going to have to do this," Hal says.

I hear a click as Hal presses the gun against Tristan's temple.

"NO STOP!" I scream.

I rush forward, tears welling up in my eyes. Hal whips around, staring at me but not lowering the gun from Tristan's head.

"What are you doing?"I hear the commander shout from behind me.

But I don't listen to him. Instead, I gather up all of the courage inside of me and say,

"I'll stay with you."

It's as if a pin has dropped; everyone gasps. Even Hal does.

"Tessa no!" I hear Tristan yell.

But I ignore him.

After mustering up the last ounces of courage left inside of me, I begin to walk forward towards Hal, who is still holding the gun to Tristan's head.