Chapter Fifty Three

((hello everyone!!! i know it is has been such a long time since my last update, but here it is! this is the FINAL chapter of the Desolation! don't be too sad though because there is going to be a sequel! I want to thank all of you for getting this book to the place it is now! i never EVER thought that this book would get as far as it did! from being constantly ranked #1 in the adventure category to reaching over 200k reads, I have truly enjoyed writing this story every step of the way! thank you all for being the best fans ever!! and regarding the Desolation Reader's contest, I have extended the deadline one week for all submissions to JULY 6TH. Don't forget to send your submissions in, you can either PM them or email them to my personal email. All the contest info is in the chapter about the contest! anyways, I really hope that you all enjoy this final chapter of Desolation!!!))

***PS, here is the link to the sequel: https://www.wattpad.com/story/79013698-replication

The rest of the car ride I stare out the window, nervously twiddling my thumbs in my lap. We drive through a crowded city that is bustling with early morning traffic and pedestrians. I soon learn from the street signs that we are in Washington D.C.

Angela drones on and on endlessly about what is going to happen today. It turns out that since both Ian and I are seventeen years old, we are going to be tried in a juvenile court rather than an adult criminal court. However, Angela says that if the judge feels that it is necessary for the crime that we committed, we will get transferred to a real criminal court. I really hope that doesn't happen.

Today is our hearings; we are going to be formally charged in front of a judge. Then, the judge will set the dates for our official trials and decide whether we will be detained or released for the time period before our official trial, which can take place within a few days to a few weeks, depending on how booked the court is.

I soon begin to completely tune Angela out; one, because the sound of her voice is equivalent to sound of nails on a chalkboard, and two, because I have no clue what she is talking about.

Finally, after what seems like ages, the car turns down a side street and halts to a stop in front of a small, white building. By now, my stomach is so twisted up in knots that I feel nauseous. With Angela leading the way, we all get out of the car and walk towards the entrance of the building.

We enter the building into a small, empty lobby, sparsely furnished with dull-colored couches and chairs. A few faded paintings hang crookedly on the walls, but other than that, the walls are completely blank. Just being inside this lobby makes me feel even more depressed. I didn't think that was even possible.

"You two can sit for now until your lawyers arrive. They should be here any minute," Angela says brusquely, pointing to a particularly saggy-looking couch in the corner of the room.

Reluctantly, Ian and I walk towards the couch and sit down, sinking down into its plush cushions. We sit in a deafening silence, waiting as the minutes tick by ever so slowly. Angela stands by the entrance, tapping her foot impatiently and constantly glancing down at her wristwatch.

I don't know how much times passes by but finally, a sleek black car pulls up in front of the building.

"They're here," Angela says.

She turns around, eyeing us with a deprecating expression painted on her heavily-made up face.

"Sit up you two; you have to look presentable. And be polite to your lawyers. They're here to help you," she says.

I can tell that she is looking directly at Ian when she says this.

Two men get out of the car and begin to walk up towards the building. My heart begins to pound in my chest as I sit up and fold my hands in my lap, trying to look as civil as I can. However, I do not think that it is remotely possible for me to look civil, given that my hair is an absolute rat's nest and I look like I haven't slept in weeks.