Chapter Forty

((thanks for 22k reads! I really hope that you all are enjoying this book!! don't forget to vote and comment; your comments truly mean so much to me!))

The first thing that I do is scream. And then, I run. Adrenaline pumps through my veins as I charge behind her, my arms outstretched in front of me.

"STOP!" I yell.

When she doesn't turn around, I lunge forward, grabbing and slamming her to the ground. 

Hard.

She screams out in agony as I jump on top of her, pressing her arms to the ground. Before she can make a move, I wrench the knife out of her hands and hold it to her throat.

"What the hell are you doing?" she cries, her eyes wide with fear.

"Do you want to explain to me why you were going to kill Ian?" I ask through gritted teeth.

Ian.

I look up to see him standing a few feet away, staring at me with wide eyes. 

"What are you talking about?!" Eve exclaims.

I look back down at her, anger burning in my eyes. Why is she trying to cover it up that she was just going to kill him?

"You know exactly what I'm talking about," I say bitterly.

"Tessa, I don't know what you are talking about. I saw one of the doctors, and I was going to attack him until you tackled me to the ground," she explains.

I stare at her for a few moments, utterly bewildered.

"So you're telling me you saw one of the doctors?" I exclaim outrageously.

"Yes!" Eve shouts.

"You didn't see a doctor! It's Ian; you were about to kill him! How did you not recognize him?" I ask.

"It was dark! I thought that he was one of them and I'm sorry!" Eve exclaims desperately.

I scrutinize her. No matter what she says to try to defend herself, I do not trust her. Ian doesn't have a white lab coat on; there is no way that she could of thought that he was one of the doctors. 

"Can you please take the knife off of my throat! It hurts," Eve says.

Reluctantly, I pull the knife away from her throat. She sits up and rubs her neck, looking at me.

"Geez, you are a psycho," she mutters.

No, you are.

"Can I have my knife back?" she asks, holding out her hand.

"No way," I say firmly, standing up and putting the knife in my pocket.

I look up to see Ian, still staring at us silently. When my eyes meet with his, my cheeks begin to burn and my heart starts to beat faster.

Finally, he breaks the silence and asks,

"What just happened?"

I swallow hard. How do I explain to him what just happened?

"She tried to kill you," I say quickly, pointing at Eve.

Eve crosses her arms, rolling her eyes.

"I did not. My eyes deceived me and I thought that you were one of the doctors. I'm sorry Ian, you know that I would never hurt you. Tessa is just overreacting," Eve says to Ian.

A wave of rage passes through me. She is lying, and I know it.

"Bullcrap!" I yell at her furiously.