Chapter Twenty Five

((OMG today Desolation was ranked #27 in Adventure!! I literally almost had a heart attack when I saw that hahaha!! And also, Desolation now has 1.9k reads, thanks to all of you guys! Your reads, votes and comments really mean SO much to me, I love reading and replying to all of your comments!! I hope that you all like this chapter, and here is a gif of Ian!)) 

I jump, ducking down at the loud bang of the gunshot. 

What the hell just happened.

"Holy moly!" I hear Dylan cry from across the jungle.

With my ears ringing, I turn around and gasp. There, lying dead on the ground about fifteen feet behind me is a deer. It lays on its side, motionless, blood seeping out of a hole on its side where the bullet from Ian's gun hit it. 

I hear Nikki gasp as well.

"Ian..." I start, my voice cracking.

Suddenly, tears begin to well in my eyes. I don't know why, but the sight of the dead deer makes me start to cry. Something so innocent, so harmless, killed in an instant by the bullet from Ian's gun. 

I turn to Ian, the tears in my eyes starting to stream down my face.

"Ian, why did you do that?" I ask, my voice trembling.

He looks at me intently, then says softly.

"Tessa, we need food or else we're all going to die."

I look up at him, my vision blurred from the tears welling up in my eyes. I know what Ian said is true, but some for reason I am sad. I never thought it would get to the point where we would be eating deer that we killed.

"What's wrong?" he asks, looking into my eyes and pulling me close.

I shake my head, wiping the tears from my cheek.

"I...I...I don't know," I stammer.

Wow, I am an emotional wreck. I guess being on this island has turned me into one.

Ian cups my face in his hands, wiping tears from my cheeks with his thumbs. 

"Tessa, I know it's sad but I had to do it. We need food," Ian says.

I nod, then give him a weak, forced smile.

"Are you okay?" he says.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say.

He gently wipes one last tear away from my cheek then lowers his hands from my face.

"What did you do that for?" I hear Tristan's voice shout from behind us.

We both turn around to see Tristan, Dylan, and Nikki standing right by the deer. Nikki looks down at the deer, petrified.

"We need food," Ian says bluntly.

"And we're going to eat a that?" Tristan exclaims incredulously, pointing to the carcass.

"This is not a gourmet restaurant, okay? You're not going to get a five-course meal," Ian snaps, an edge of irritability in his voice.

I look up at Ian, raising my eyebrows. He needs to learn to control his temper.

"Okay, calm down. We'll eat it," Tristan says.

"I'm not eating that," Nikki announces, disgusted.

"Yes you are Nikki," Dylan says.

Nikki sighs, then says,

"And what is a deer doing in the middle of a jungle on a tropical island?"

We all shrug. It is kind of weird.