Chapter Thirty Six

((OMG Desolation is ranked #2 in Adventure today!!! That makes me so happy! I hope that you all enjoy this chapter and don't forget to vote and comment! Thanks!!))

"There is no island there."

The man's words reverberate in my skull over and over again like a broken a record. It can't be right.

"What do you mean?" Tristan asks, gripping the intercom speaker so hard that his knuckles turn white.

"I mean, we looked up those exact coordinates and there's no island there. Your coordinates are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean," the man says.

I suddenly feel dizzy. What is going on?

"But we're on an island I swear! Are you sure you entered the coordinates correctly?" Tristan exclaims, frustration evident in his voice.

"I'm sorry kids, but there is no island there. How about you all just stop playing make-believe and go home," the man says.

"You think we're making this up?!" Tristan yells incredulously.

He is abruptly cut off by a crackling noise as the line goes dead. Suddenly, Tristan lashes out in rage, punching the wall. I swallow hard, feeling like a deflated balloon. All of the hopes of being rescued have completely diminished.

"Well, this sucks," Dylan murmurs grimly.

None of us respond. We're all too miserable to do so. Tristan storms out of the room, walking outside. I've never seen him flip out like this before.

"I'll go try to calm him down," I say.

Ian glances up at me, his eyes locking with mine. Before he can say anything, I get up and walk out.

A strong breeze blows through the air, whipping my hair around in all directions. Ominous, dark storm clouds have begun to settle in the sky, masking the bright sun that was out before.

At first, I can't find Tristan. I look around, spinning around in a slow circle until I spot him. My heart skips a beat when I see him standing on the edge of the cliff, his back towards me.

"Tristan!" I exclaim, starting to walk towards him.

A low rumble of thunder resonates in the humid air and the wind begins to pick up.

"Please...get away from the edge," I say, my voice cracking.

He doesn't move.

"Please!" I cry out, approaching him from behind.

When he still doesn't move, I grab him by the back of his shirt, pulling him away from the edge. He turns around with a grim look on his face.

"We were so close to being rescued...," he murmurs.

"I know...," I say, my voice trailing off:

I don't know what to say to him. There is nothing that I can say that will make him feel better. I'm not going to lie and tell him that everything's going to be okay.

He rakes his fingers through his hair.

"What is going to happen to us?" he asks sorrowfully.

"I...I don't know," I reply.

Suddenly, I hear someone shout and whip around to see Nikki poking her head out of the radio tower base.

"Guys come in here!" She shouts.

Without thinking, Tristan and I run towards the building. Rain has begun to fall; large drops cascading down from the sky. My heart begins to race as one thought pops into my mind; they connected with someone else who is going to come and rescue us.