Chapter 4: Pub Knowledge.

The war nine years ago all but ruined the once great city of Edinburgh most buildings were lucky to be in one piece or still standing above four stories high. The winter air was still present in the city the temperature was very low above maybe one if lucky. The snow was present but not as deep in the village maybe about half a foot high. It was morning and the sun was just starting to reach the sky. In an alleyway next to an old destroyed block of flats and another block of flats a large black window appeared. It was Deox's vortex, the red and blue electricity surrounding it was a good give away. Stepping through the door Apprentice was first. He wore orange snow goggles and still had on his jeans stained with blood and the new top with 'SMUG' on it, His scabbard as always on his right side ready for combat. Next stepped through Deox as always in the same attire blue jeans and a large buttoned up black overcoat that went down to his knees. His hands as always in his overcoats pockets hiding his hands. The vortex behind them closed leaving them both standing in the snowy alleyway. Apprentice looked around with joy, eyes full of wonder this was it the city the big Scottish battleground for the event nine years ago.

“Don’t get too exited Apprentice, We are not here to sight see we are on an important mission.”

“I know I know but this is it. This is were you and many others made their names well known. The last hope battle. Its so overwhelming.”

“All this place is for many people is defeat not glory, just remember that not everyone wants their name well known for surviving that battle. Some would rather be on the dead list.”

Apprentice just stood quite looking at Deox's blank white mask. It was not often Deox spoke of his past or other people but when he did they were always sad.

“OK were we going then Deox.”

Deox voice was a little more happy “The pub”

Apprentice just stood looking at Deox, not something he was expecting for this mission but then Deox was unpredictable. They both started walking through the snow out of the alleyway to be met with a large road that went on for ages. It had burned out cars and litter all over the place. The snow made the scene that much more creepy. Eyes still large Apprentice took in all of the city. He noticed all the debris from buildings and craters around the place. Some more than others when he fell in, the snow hid them well. Deox would chuckle when it happened as it never happened to him. Covered in snow and rubble Apprentice and Deox walked for a good ten minutes always keeping a look out for Heth just in case. Apprentice remembers Deox telling him Heth rarely appear in the same place twice they were more like a walking army with no base. After a few more minutes of walking they ended up at a pub or what Apprentice thought was a pub. It had large green doors and a sign above the door.

“Listen Apprentice when we get in stay close to me, people now a days don’t like being questioned and stay to themselves plus this isn’t the safest of areas.”

“I don’t need protection Deox!” slammed Apprentice

“I know, but  stay close to me.”

Apprentice just nodded. As the got closer Deox opened to the door and it had a new smell came and hit Apprentices nose. Smoke and beer with the smell of unwashed people. It wasn’t the most pleasant smell in the world but unique. The inside was shaped like an 'L' with the bar making up the one side of it. On one side of the bar stood a goblin of a woman. She was the height of ugliness she was small just tall enough for her head to reach over the counter. She had curly brown hair almost like she wore a ball on her head. Her nose was long and almost looked like a hook, the eyes matched they were dark and dirty brown. Her expression wasn’t one of happiness more like a form with anger thrown in for good measure. Apprentice noticed a few people in the pub two sitting at the counter their clothes worn and dirty. They sat a chair away from each other. At the right of the 'L' sat a table of three people one of them looked like an ogre with height to match. Strolling into the middle of the pub Apprentice noticed the floor was tiled it had once been white long ago but now dirty with dirt. This seemed to be the theme for the entire pub dirty and unwashed. Apprentice did what Deox said and stayed close to him. As Deox reached the counter he sat on the only free seat between the two men. Apprentice just stood behind Deox noticing the angry stares from the table.