Book 5⌇15. Don't Resist

Chapter 15 ∣  Don't Resist

-Eris

My heart was pounding out of control, and I was pretty sure it was about to come right out of my chest. Beside the eerie howl that had emitted into the air thanks to Tristan, all I could hear was the swoosh of the blood thrumming in my ears. Climbing the stairs to my apartment two at a time, I quickly glanced up as one of my neighbors was stretching their arms as they walked down beside me.

I just smiled uneasily, waving before I continued my way up the stairs until I came onto the landing where my apartment was located.

See...glad I threw those two useless keys away...

Instead of wrestling with the keys, I just had my one, which I slid into the lock and quickly opened the door to my small living room. Shutting the door behind me, I locked the bottom lock and flicked the deadbolt into place.

Yea, like that, is going to help. Eh, it's the thought that counts.

I didn't do anything...why is Tristan coming after me? What does he mean, 'I smell like him?'

Steadying my erratic breathing, I placed my keys into my jean pocket, sprinting down the hallway towards my bedroom door. The haunting howl echoed into the air once again as I opened my bedroom door and made my way to the window. Just as quickly as I had seen him as a wolf, he had shifted back to his humanoid appearance, now wearing new clothes.

So, you think you're a cocky asshat too?

Tristan was leaning against the brick wall across from the apartment complex, his eyes meeting mine as I appeared in the window. He gave me the 'I'm watching you' look with his fingers before letting out a low growl.

Oh, I see...you think you've trapped me here.

Well, the joke's on you.

Gripping the windowsill in anger, I let go and walked out of my bedroom, passing the kitchen and heading to my living room. I'm not going to be trapped here like some wild animal.

Unlocking my bedroom door and removing the deadbolt, I screamed and jumped at the sight of Hendrix standing just outside my door. He had his hand raised into a fist, appearing as though he was about to knock when I had swung the door inwards and caught him by surprise. He lowered his hand, the tanned V-neck shirt clung to his body as his dark jeans came just over his shoes.

I didn't know what to think, my heart skipping every other beat.

"I-I-I-" I couldn't get the words to form, not sure if him showing up here was a good or bad thing. I figured I was just paranoid until it hit me...how did he know where I lived?

Bad thing.

It had been both Tristan and him who had shifted their energy in the Starbucks. They're in the same pack...he must be a werewolf as well. Tristan was calling him...was it just him? Or did he call more?

"Eris?" Hendrix questioned, dumbfounded that I had been the person behind the door. His eyes searched my face and must have seen the fear that I felt. "How...what?"

He breathed in, his muscle tensing. "But you're—you're human..."

Why does their kind keep thinking that? Can they not sense me? It was probably better for me that way.

Trying to take him off guard, I quickly tried to shut the door.

Note the word tried.

Hendrix threw his hand out, knocking the door back all the way open. I took two steps away from him, my fear rising at exactly what was happening. A small cry left my lips as my back collided with the dark carpet, this time, it was Hendrix who had me pinned down.