Book 5⌇43. Last Sand of the Hour Glass

Chapter 43 ∣  Last Sand of the Hourglass

-Maverick

I gasped, my eyes flying open as even the dully lit crimson orbs caused me to squint, my pull back into my body taking almost everything out of me. The pain erupted in my chest, my hands pressing against the center of it as the silver dagger had been forced out of my heart, the shock had my senses running everywhere as I attempted to regain my bearings. The sound of the dagger clattering to the ground as I shot up from the table, my eyes immediately snapping to Rook.

He appeared taken aback, his eyes questioning me.

"Send me back!" I breathed out, the short time that I had been gone here was well over a month in Hell and my body felt like it hadn't used its lungs in that same amount of time. I breathed in the air, catching my breath as Rook just stared at me with his citrine amber eyes.

"Maverick," Rook stated, his eyes glancing down to the ancient book that lay open at the head of the table, placing his hand on the left page and shaking his head, "I can't. I told you this before you left. You had one chance."

The anger rose within me, my eyes glaring at him and growling, "They're going to kill her! Send me back NOW!" When he just shifted his eyes away from me, I lashed out, grabbing him by the collar of his shirt and pulling him toward me until we were just mere inches apart.

Rook's eyes shifted to a black rose, growling back at me as he brought both his hands up, wrapping them around my wrist and forcing me to let go of him. "I. Can't. What part of those two words do you NOT understand?"

I let the anger slip away the moment I heard someone coughing on the other side of the table, turning my attention away from Rook.

"Lucette!" I cringed, watching her struggling to stay on her knees, her palms against the marble floor as she coughed up blood. "Lucette?" I asked carefully, sliding down from the table and kneeling in front of her, lifting her chin with my right hand to gaze into her eyes. Blood trailed down from her nose and I could see the trace amounts coming from her ears beneath her long white hair.

"Th-That's some power..." she coughed again as I couldn't believe what had happened to her. Rook was right...If I didn't come back in time, the blood magic would forcefully leave her body and it appeared to have wreaked havoc on her own as it had been transferred back to me.

When I didn't say anything, she just smiled and laughed lightly, "Oh stop staring at me like I'm going to die." She smacked away my hand holding her chin, standing slowly to her feet. Rook had moved around the table, his arm out as she used him for support.

"I-I'm so sorry brother," Lucette's sad eyes held all the emotions I was feeling.

I tried to block everything out, the hurt, loss, pain, and hate, turning into something I haven't been in a very long time. But that all changed the moment I looked into Eris' beautiful emerald eyes, rooting me back to her as I knew she felt the connection I had been feeling from her all this time. It was more intense this time, the warmth that I drew from her skin and the electrical charge that was not in relation to her demonic nature...it radiated through my body and in the one moment I thought I had completely lost her...I completely found her.

"Eris..." my words trailed off, standing from my knees and letting the pain rip through me, knowing I had failed her. I couldn't protect her...I couldn't save her; all this power and I couldn't use it as my time was up. If I had paid closer attention and just gone after her, sprinting across the bridge that loomed over the fiery lava...maybe I could have brought her back.

Rook held Lucette tightly, his eyes watching me as he sincerely said, "I'm sorry man...I-If-" Rook glanced at Lucette and then closed his eyes, taking in a deep breath before saying, "If you want to stay the night...you can."