Book 5⌇49. Yes They're Mates

Chapter 49 ∣  Yes, They're Mates

-Eris

We're in some deep shit. Mmhmm, that's all I have to say.

Maverick whispered lowly, "Can you faze away, like you were able to come in contact with me when you left Hell?"

It hadn't struck me, but after so many years of not being able to faze, it had become a foreign concept to me. It had been pure instinct and something of an entirely different level that drew me toward Maverick that night. Luck, that's what I'm going with.

Closing my eyes, I breathed out slowly and pictured where I wanted to go...home, to my apartment. When I drew on my energy, nothing happened. I couldn't remember how to faze on my own.

Well fuck...

"No, I can't," I tried to remain calm, but my beating heart continued to drum harder, Maverick's beautiful hazel blue eyes searching my face. He was trying to think of a way out of this. If he ran, I was almost certain the hunters would be able to catch him, as I could feel their energy closing in, roughly a few yards away now.

The familiarity of Hendrix's energy was off to the distance, the wolves hiding within the shadows, but each of their energies pulsated, surrounding the outskirts of the clearing. The risk of running and trying to get by one of them without being attacked was slim and would just cause Maverick to slow down and result in the hunters, again, catching him.

Though, that romantic in me was thrilled at the potential meeting of Hendrix glimpsing Rainier, the one man I saw in his soul when I saw into it. True soulmates finding one another was special and significant for their lives, and it was about to happen. Maybe if they would be too distracted to bother with Maverick, but there was no guarantee that Zak wouldn't seek Maverick out and continue his mission.

Oh, the possibilities, but time was about to run out.

"Hide yourself," Maverick stated, his lips brushed mine in a soft kiss, the spark between us igniting the passion that had long since been sheltered away. He stood to his feet, pulling away and glancing around the clearing, waiting for the first move to be made.

"Maverick, why?" I was startled, but he just urged me to do as he wished.

He said, "I don't want these hunters to know what you truly are. That's our one advantage."

I see. Letting go of my tie to my demonic side, my tail and fangs disappeared, leaving me to appear as a normal human being. It surprised me when I felt the energy from the hunters suddenly stop, waiting in the trees with caution as Hendrix moved out from the front, wolves flanking him as they growled lowly.

"Maverick," Hendrix acknowledged my vampire, Maverick's hands clenching into fists as he felt the apprehension as well. Hendrix's eyes moved from Maverick's, falling onto me as I still sat on the grass, the wolves emerging from the edge of the tree line behind us.

His expression softened for a moment asking, "Why are you here? I told you, you are not welcome in these woods." This question was directed at Maverick. I slowly rose to my feet, trying not to make any threatening or sudden movements that would cause me to appear as a potential danger to his pack.

"It's my fault," I lowered my head, noticing the increased and powerful energy coming from Hendrix. He had been made Alpha of Declan's pack, the strength that radiated from his was on par, if not stronger. In the time that Maverick and I had been experiencing a miss adventure, this man had grown much stronger.

"It's all over the news," Hendrix ignored me, glowering at Maverick, "You're the one murdering innocent lives. I thought you were better than that, especially after meeting her." He pointed at me, the disdain in his voice at Maverick's recent actions.