Book 5⌇24. Hiding Something?

Chapter 24 ∣  Hiding Something?

-Eris

I couldn't figure out exactly how long I had been asleep, the taste of Mavericks blood still lingered in my mouth as my eyes slowly drifted open. It would be a lie to say that I hadn't expected Maverick to come after me, after all, he is a rogue. More and more, it seemed that this icy heart of his was slowly melting away, shedding away the husk that coated his outer shell from the world. Is this the vampire that had once been a part of his society? Could he truly ever be happy and the people he ran from love him?

It was hard to imagine my vampire—oops, there I go again—the vampire ever belonging to a coven, let alone wondering about the parents who raised him.

Why did he go rogue?

I doubt he'd ever tell me, even if I asked...

"Eris?" Maverick's voice coming from behind me caused a smile to appear on my face. He stayed with me. He didn't just drop me off after getting me out of the mess he got me into in the first place. He really did care about me; it was a first and I enjoyed waking up to someone besides me...or rather behind me now. It was the strangest feeling, sharing my space with another as I had always just been on my own. I don't think I can remember even a single night that I had someone stay over, as the Dv8 Strip Club provided me with all the energy I needed. Why would I risk bringing a mortal to my place of residence to take their life force when a separate place was already provided for me?

I rolled from my right side onto my back, the sheets and covers pulling with my body. My head tilted to see his beautiful hazel eyes staring back at me, resting his head under his arm, his white hair falling to the side of his face.

You're perfect. You're absolutely perfect.

Hurt suddenly pulled at my heart, knowing he could never really be mine, as his soulmate resided within a vampire coven, possibly. It was incredibly brave of him to rescue me, knowing we couldn't have a future together.

"Eris, are you alright?" Maverick asked as we both sat up at the same time, shifting so I was looking directly at him. Before he could say another word, I smacked him hard across the face.

His muscles tensed as he lowered his voice, "I deserved that..."

"And a lot more you ass-hat," I sighed with irritation, "Why did you kill Willow? Why would you do something like that? Wait, don't tell me the answer is...just because you can?"

"Yes and no," he responded, "I killed Willow as a warning."

"What flipping warning comes from KILLING someone?! That sounds more like an ultimatum death sentence...not a fucking warning!" I was angry now. I recalled when Maverick was ready to take my life for no reason at all, just because he could. Just because I wouldn't tell him about who I was. What gives him the right to choose who lives and who dies? It very well could easily have been me...it almost was.

Maverick glanced away as he thoughtfully looked up at the now interesting popcorn ceiling.

Don't tell me you think the ceiling is more interesting at this moment...look me in the eye!

"Declan called the hunters to this location," he stated, choosing his words carefully, "I had noticed their scent recently after I had a run-in with him a few nights before this all took place. His pack wasn't anywhere on my radar and he decided to call them—because I was killing humans left and right—and you know how I know that? They met up with him and spoke about me. I wasn't going to just sit back and have others mess around trying to find me. I killed Willow, showing exactly what their lives are worth and that I'd kill his entire pack if he so much as mentioned my name to them."