Book 5⌇35. You're Here?

Chapter 35 ∣  You're Here?

-Maverick

Pain.

A feeling of intense pain washed over me in waves, reliving the moment when that sick bastard laid his hands-on Eris, draining her energy and stealing her away to a dimension where I could not follow.

Helpless.

I'd never been helpless in my entire life, even after my father cast me away, leaving his assassin, Killian to watch over me with his beloved and daughter. He was supposed to kill me but took pity on me for he believed my father had made an irreversible and terrible mistake that would haunt him to the end of his life. Instead, my mother ordered Killian to protect me, that he would teach me how to live on my own, raising me until I turned sixteen. For seven years, I lived without my family and after Killian and his family became like my own, I lost another set of parents.

This feeling of complete and utter loss of control was excruciating, I couldn't stop Keegan from taking away the love of my life. My last hope resided within the tall walls of the dark mansion that loomed across the street from me. The wind blew gently, catching my long ebony trench coat and billowing out the hem behind me. Leaning against the gray, steel lamp post, the light illuminating my presence beneath it.

I wasn't here to hide—partially anyways.

I was cloaking my energy, trying to figure out the best way to handle the situation. I hadn't asked anyone for help, not since I was truly left on my own. It had made me stronger, relying only on myself and not having to care for anyone else. That was until Eris wandered into my life. Now, I could see how loving another could make you much more vulnerable, much weaker...

Love may make one weak, but it also strengthens them, wanting to push the boundaries of their faith and how far they are willing to go to save another. At any given time, I was now ready to give my life in order to save Eris.

I breathed in the cold night's air, calming my senses as I knew I'd need every bit of my strength to change the events that had happened. Uncrossing my arms from resting against my chest, I pushed away from the lamppost, looking up and down the street, barely any vehicles lingered at night. Yes, vampires were no longer a 'threat' because hunters would kill the ones who stepped out of line, but that didn't mean a mortal couldn't be stolen away in the night and no one would hear about it.

Vampires could have blood slaves...they just weren't allowed to kill them by law, this whole everyone plays nice and get along made me sick half the time.

My dark combat boots echoed off the pavement, the small rainstorm that had passed over the city during the day, left small pools of collected water. The water splashed from the puddles as I made my way to the opposite sidewalk, a large wrought iron gate halting my movement.

Thankfully, there was really no reason to lock this gate, it was more of a decoration and for show. Any creature that might want to threaten this coven, wouldn't let a simple gate block its path. But it did deter humans, preventing the occurrence of the lone, bold teenager that was dared to enter a place where vampires resided.

Pushing back the gate and stepping onto the cement pathway, leading up to large double cherry oak wood doors. My fingers left the bars as I closed the gate solidly shut behind me, moving lightly across the cement, my eyes scanning the emerald sections of grass on either side of the pathway.

Where the hell is his security?

Surely by now, someone should have noticed my presence, though my strongest energy was still concealed.

Has he gone soft?

I halted in front of the double doors, raising my right hand into a fist and then bring it down against the wood three times. Yea, just walking to my potential death...