Book 5⌇51. Resignation

Chapter 51 ∣  Resignation

-Eris

You're serious about this?

The screen flashed across my phone, perching myself on the stool near the kitchen island, Brice's response to my sudden resignation came as a bit of a shocker to him, after all, I'd been with the Dv8 Strip Club for quite some time. Maverick had informed me, that we would need to move and find some other place to stay, as Hendrix and some of his pack members knew where I lived. If Rainier and Zak were coming to kill him, they could now use their newly formed "alliance" with Hendrix in order to track us down.

Maverick wouldn't have any of that.

Yes. You have been such a wonderful boss, I can't thank you enough for the years of being able to work for your establishment, but I'm not just resigning in order to find a new job. I'm moving away, so the commute wouldn't be in my favor.

I clicked the send button, tapping the granite countertop with my thumb while I shook my left leg in anticipation. I'd been working there all my life on Earth; it was hard to just let go despite the type of work I did. It had become a second family, and it would be easier this way.

I feel like a girl breaking up over a text message.

I understand Eris, it's been a pleasure having you as an employee here and though I wish you had shown up in person, I'll accept your resignation.

Phew.

I smiled to myself, my long dark hair pulled back into a high ponytail, reaching for the piece of pizza that I had half eaten off the beige ceramic plate. Maverick was resting, it had been a while since he had any sleep and if we were going to be traveling, we'd both need as much rest a possible.

For the life of me, I just couldn't sleep. The way he'd touched me, my heart yearned for his love and devotion. Discovering that my demonic self knew on instinct how to bond, was exhilarating, willingly relinquishing a part of my soul to be forever protected and guarded by Maverick, made me feel like I had placed my trust correctly.

My vampire, I'll always be here for you. I do wonder though, what will have a part of a real soul inside your body do to you?

The way he spoke about guilt and morality, made me question whether this might change him as a person. An action he might have done, might play out differently now that he had some type of conscious within him. I liked that, knowing he might stop killing beings just because he could, maybe he could somehow repair the bond between him and his family. I wasn't sure exactly what he was thinking or planning, but it was nice to dream.

I flinched when my phone buzzed loudly on the countertop. I furrowed my brows and placed the slice of pizza back down, sliding the screen open and seeing Brice had left me another message.

Come to the club. We have a surprise for you.

"Odd?" I questioned, trying to think why Brice would need me to show up in person, after all, he had just said that it was okay that I resigned over our text message.

'Can it wait?'

I placed my phone back down on the countertop cautiously, taking the slice of pizza on the plate and standing from the kitchen stool. Opening the refrigerator door, I placed the pizza on the top shelf, hoping to keep it for later, unless Maverick decided to scarf it down when he woke up.

The phone lit up again, turning around and moving to the kitchen island. I leaned against the countertop, flicking the screen on and suddenly feeling relief.

Going away party. Come now.

Brice wasn't one to extend such an offer, but I guess this was a big change and if Salana and Teddy were helping him plan this, then I'm sure it would be fun.