Book 5⌇21. Within The Shadows

Chapter 21 ∣  Within The Shadows

-Maverick

Forgive me Eris.

Forgive me for every life I take in ordered to set you free and bring you back home safely. I know you could never understand the reasons why I did what I did...but I know now that I shouldn't have gotten too close to you. It was wrong of me and as soon as I get you out of my mess, I'll leave. I know you don't want me anywhere near you and honestly, I can't blame you after the shit you were pulled into if I hadn't had stepped into your life.

I could smell the Thetas approaching, pulling rounds with their guardians on their outer perimeter of Forest Park. Eris' scent was ever so faint, but just enough for me to be drawn to their location, about to move through their defensive line in order to track her down.

Breathing in slowly, I dematerialized my body, dissolving into the shadows and falling off the wolves' radar, sprinting faster than any being could possibly move through the shadows of the trees. Weaving in and out of the tall trees, I found myself crouching down for a moment, a new patrol rushing the area.

This doesn't make sense...no one can tell where I am, why are they sniffing the air?

These wolves were larger than your average ones, the snarling and snapping at the unseen being that they could sense was amusing to watch. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end, the presence of a wolf directly behind me, growling lowly. Silently moving to the side, it continued to stare where I had been. Obviously, they knew I was in the vicinity, but they couldn't follow my quick movements, masking my location and continuing to confuse them.

I had been trained in many different arts by individuals who were at the top of their craft. It didn't bother me that I used weapons and not just strength like many vampires, after all, running on my own had taught me I could only rely on myself. If I didn't come prepared, my death would be no one's fault but my own.

Knowing I couldn't stay hidden within the shadows for very much longer, as it wasn't an innate trait that had been passed to me, but learned through brutal training, I had to position myself to take anyone who stood in my way. I could usually hold onto the shadows for longer than this, but with my sense completely heightened and aware of the danger lurking around me, it was hard to focus on just one thing.

The patrols shifted once again, a group standing guard in my sights.

Let's see how far I've come.

Let's see if I really can bring this world to its knees, starting with this pack.

Removing the two medium length daggers from my sides, I held the hilts, the blades pointed in the direction of my targets. With the dense trees surrounding us, there wasn't much wind, my trench coat hugging closely to my body. The next exhale and beat of my heart brought me back into this world, releasing the shadows and staring down the angry looking pack of wolves.

One of the wolfs didn't hesitate, lunging towards me claws out and teeth bared.

What are you going to do if I move over here?

Sidestepping out of the way to my right at the last second, I swung my left arm in an arc, slicing the blade cleanly through the wolf's neck, severing the head from its body. The corpse dropped to the ground, howls from the other wolves filled the night air, stirring renewed hatred for me.

What did they expect?

They took my Eris.

I shook my head trying to clear my thoughts.

She's not mine.

How could anyone come to love another who kills for fun...for pleasure...just because I can?