i . reunion

Bright sunbeams, the fresh smell of trees blooming, and the nice and warm breeze of the spring wind―all of these were beautiful sights at the beginning of a new season. There were so many ways to enjoy these pleasant spring days―after school, that is. On a nice day like this one, a new school year at Kirisame High started, sending all students into dull rooms, away from the gorgeous nature.

A small group of friends had decided to meet up in front of the school entrance to begin their first day together. Not even ten minutes into the new year, complaints were coming in from all sides. "It was so hard to get out of bed today. I'm not used to getting up that early again yet," a red-haired girl named Rina Morita said, suppressing a yawn, earning supportive groans from one of her friends.

"Yeah, I feel you," another girl, (first name) (last name) replied, rubbing the sleep out of her right eye. The last member of the clique was the only one who had confidence in the upcoming year. "At least we can see each other every day again! I missed the school days with you," Emiri Tozawa, a short brown-haired girl with black-framed glasses said, trying to lighten up the mood.

"Also, I was so nervous about today, I couldn't sleep at all!" she added to the previous conversation, making the other two smile to themselves. "Typical Emiri," (first name) teased, but switched to a more condescending tone, "No need to stress yourself so much, though. Everything is going to be alright!"

Eventually, the three of them arrived at the huge table that would reveal the class formations for this year and examined it. "Hey, Emiri, look! We're in the same class this year!" (first name) stated excitedly as she noticed both of their names below the heading 2-B.

"Yay, I'm so happy!" Emiri sighed in relief, "I'm glad I don't have to begin the new year all alone!"

"This is fine. Don't mind me, I guess," Rina said sadly from behind them. As the other two turned around, they saw her pouting. "O-oh, you're in another class, huh?" (first name) said, trying to sound as empathetic as possible.

"Aw, man, that's so lame! Remember our teacher bingo games that we played during classes? Who am I supposed to do that with now?!"  Rina dramatically put her hands on her face, pretending to cry into them. "Heh, good memories," (first name) replied, smiling to herself.

"You guys did that in class?!" Emiri dug deeper as she did not know anything about games like that. "Yeah, remember Mr. Ishida's classic 'Ladies and gentlemen' in every other sentence or every time Ms. Kato dozed off during class? Rina and I collected enough of these to make a bingo card," (first name) explained rather proudly.

"Hello?! Not the problem right now!" Rina interfered,  sternly staring at her friends. "It's going to be okay, Rina-chan! We'll spend all of our breaks together, okay?" Emiri suggested, patting Rina's shoulder awkwardly. "I sure hope so," Rina demanded, "That's the least you two can do after betraying me like that!"

"It's not like we had a say in this, you know?" (first name) sighed.

As her friends continued their conversation, (first name) turned away from them, examining the school ground and the students entering it. Doing that, she caught a glimpse of a pair of deep red eyes staring right into hers. She quickly averted her gaze, thinking it was just a coincidence, but when she dared to look back one more time, fascinated by those unique eyes, they were still fixated on her, a slight smile added on the owner's face. Being stared at like this made her feel uneasy, so she quickly turned to face her friends again―yet she could almost feel these red eyes staring a hole in her head.

"You're so mean, (first name)! Were you even listening to what I was saying?!" Rina crossed her arms in front of her chest. However, she did not get any reaction from her friend who just stood there, seemingly focusing on nothing.