vi . back then

Kicking a vending machine, (first name) let out an annoyed sigh when still nothing dropped down. She just wanted to buy her favourite drink that was already expensive enough and now that stupid machine was not working! "Stupid thing," she said and kicked it again, hoping to leave a dent in the metal.

"Need a hand?" a voice rang from behind her. Turning around, she met a pair of warm eyes checking on her.

"Hanamori..."

Before she could say anything else, Naoki walked past her and inserted another coin into the machine and the desired drink finally dropped down.

"Wha―?"

"You forgot to insert a few coins," he explained and smiled innocently even though (first name) knew he was teasing her. She could feel the embarrassment rise to her face, turning her ears warm. Then, she put a hand to her head and explained, "I'm a bit out of it lately."

"Hm? Is something bothering you?" Naoki asked while buying a drink from the vending machine as well. A sweet milk tea, how typical of him, she thought before returning to his question. Clearing her throat, she replied, "Not really. Just... just stressed because of school." Finally having her drink, (first name) inserted a straw into the packet and took a sip.

"Are you sure? It has nothing to do with that Oshima guy?"

(first name) spit out the sip of the drink that was in her mouth and coughed. After that, she wiped her mouth and looked at the other, her eyes wide. Unusual for Naoki, he wore a neutral expression on his face, calmly drinking on his tea while watching the flustered girl in front of him.

Frowning, (first name) spatted, "Why do you―?"

"Sorry, I couldn't help but listen. You were away for quite a while," Naoki simply answered, his voice sounding more serious than usual.

"That's none of your business," (first name) said and looked away from him. Suddenly, Naoki laughed, drawing her attention back to him. "You haven't changed a bit, (last name). I won't bother you any more, but if something is wrong, you can talk to me, okay? We're friends, right?" he asked, looking at the other in anticipation for an answer. (first name) nodded and that was good enough for him. Waving and smiling at her, he walked off.

What a weirdo. I don't remember him being like that in middle school...

Feeling relaxed, she took another sip of her drink which she ended up spitting out―again―as her body tensed up at the deep voice from behind her.

"Do you like that guy?"

(first name) turned around and her eyes widened at the oh so familiar sight―a pair of deep red eyes staring into hers.

"What do I need to do so you pay attention to me the same way?"

Dropping her drink, she was forced to move backwards until her back hit the vending machine, the boy just coming closer and closer. Their bodies were so close, not even a piece of paper could fit in between them. He was a good head taller than her―her eyes fixed on his throat right in front of her. Then, she felt a big hand on the back of her head, fingers raking through her hair, all while tilting her head upwards, so she would look at his face.

"You're still the same (first name) from back then. I'm glad." Again, he showed that sad smile of his while looking down at her. (first name) could not move a single muscle, trying to comprehend the situation―his body heat, scent and expression all playing a role in her helplessness.

"Y-you're Touya Oshima, right?" she asked hesitantly after a minute of torturing silence. Touya's eyes widened when she finally addressed him―something he had been longing for for way too long now. Surprised she had not pushed him away yet, he decided to test the waters by moving his face closer to hers.