vii . memory

"Wait!" (first name) shouted and caught up with Touya who had been about to leave. She grabbed onto the sleeve of his grey sweater, slightly pulling on it, further prompting him to stop in his tracks. Turning his head back, he seemed very surprised about (first name)'s action. He could see the determination in her eyes as she was looking up at him. 

"Just tell me who you are! Why are you making such a secret out of this? I hope you realize that your behaviour has been driving me insane! I can't even think about anything else but you!" she shouted at him, not realizing the consequences of her words. Touya's eyes literally lit up at her last sentence―the person he so desperately tried getting back just admitted she had been thinking about him a lot. At this point, he had completely turned around. "D-do you mean it?" he inquired shyly.

"Huh?" (first name) frowned at him―she did not know what he was referring to. Touya took a step closer, making (first name) take one back. "Y-you've been thinking about me?" he elaborated, his face beaming with joy, resembling a little child who finally received their desired toy for Christmas. As he was about to take another step closer, (first name) raised her voice, "T-that was phrased badly! That wasn't even the main point of what I was saying!" she reminded him.

His shoulders dropping, (first name) swore she saw him pout before he replied. "I already told you. I want you to remember yourself," Touya said. "How we met, spent time together and... fell in love with each other," he finished, the look on his face now resembling a lonely puppy. At that expression, (first name) could feel her confidence crumble. Gulping, she reminded herself that this was one of the rare occasions she could have an actual conversation with him―it was now or never.

"I obviously can't remember who you are. And you're not helping me either. Just tell me," she demanded, trying to sound as strong as she could. Touya sighed, his arms loosely hanging at each side of his body―somehow this seemed to be a stressful topic for him as well. "You really don't remember? Back then," he started, "in Hita?"

(first name) stood still for a short while, absorbed in her thoughts.

Back then, again. In Hita? Oshima... that means!

"You're that granny's grandson?!"

"...what?"

How embarrassing. I thought that's the answer, she thought and smiled awkwardly as she averted her gaze.

"You don't remember elementary school?" Touya asked and pouted.

"Elementary school?" (first name) tilted her head to the side.

(first name) was born and had lived in Hita for about ten years where she went to kindergarten and elementary school before her family moved to Tokyo because her father had been promoted. In Tokyo, she went to middle school and now high school―all these memories, but Touya was nowhere to be seen in them until suddenly, she remembered a scene from her childhood―she was about six years old and it was a typical school day at her lively elementary school in the little town of Hita.

Sitting outside in the middle of the flourishing meadow, young (first name) was enjoying the break in between lessons with her friends. Too immersed in their conversation, they did not even notice a classmate of theirs approaching them.

"Hey! Do you wanna join us for hide-and-seek?" he invited and pointed to his group of friends that was waiting a bit further away. "Yeah, I'm in!" (first name)'s friends replied one after another and finally (first name) did as well.

The group of friends got up, walking towards their classmates. It was then that (first name) noticed another one of her classmates sitting on a bench all alone, far away from all the other childrenTouya Oshima.