xii . trap

The bell rang―the sign for students to go to their classrooms and prepare for the next lesson. Everyone in the hallway slowly disappeared except for (first name) and Naoki. Still overwhelmed by what had just happened, (first name) could just stare at Naoki, his grip on her face firm but gentle. Realizing the severity of the situation, (first name)'s shock was replaced by anger. In a moment of abstraction, she managed to push him away and distance herself from him. "D-do you even understand what you have done?!" She needed―wanted―an explanation. What had happened to her simple friendship with Naoki?

"I still don't understand what you're so mad about," Naoki replied, putting his hand into the pockets of his grey pants. "Well, okay, I lied a little bit, but everything else was right, no?"―he was serious about all of this, this was no usual joke of his. (first name) watched him wide-eyed. "W-what are you even talking about?"

He repeated his words, claiming that the way (first name) handled Touya was because of him, that even Touya noticed that she liked Naoki, that she did not like talking about Naoki with her friends because she was jealous, that he could see right through her because they were made for each other.

She had treated Touya that way because she was genuinely annoyed by his actions, she did not like Naoki and Touya had never explicitly stated that he believed she did, she did not like talking about Naoki because he kept behaving like an idiot, and they were not made for each other.

"You're absolutely delusional," (first name) hissed, trying to contain the shakiness in her voice. "None of that is true. You're twisting the narrative to your liking. What the hell, Hanamori? I thought we were friends," she scoffed and could not help the disappointed laugh that escaped her throat. For some reason, she remembered Touya's face at that moment.

He was right the whole time, (first name) thought and closed her eyes. And I didn't believe him.

She could feel her eyes become wet, her nose cold and runny. She heard footsteps approaching her figure, but she did not move. Naoki wanted to put a hand to wherever, but before he could do so, she slapped his hand away. "Come on," he began, his voice cold. "Why are you trying to make me seem crazy?" He laughed. "Are you really trying to tell me I imagined everything?"

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying!" (first name) yelled. She was furious. Naoki had managed to turn her own best friends against her for his very own egoistic reasons―the worst part was that he did not even see it that way. Naoki's eyes widened when he heard (first name)'s accusation, but then he had to laugh. "No one's here anymore. Who are you keeping the act up for?" he made fun of her. "Are you afraid of what they're going to think once we officially start dating? Why would you care about that? Aren't you so nice, (last name)?" he said sarcastically. Despite everything she had just told him, he just continued―he did not get it at all, he actually believed in his delusions.

(first name) could not take it anyway. Maybe this was not the right thing to do, but she saw no other option but to escape. When Naoki expected it the least, she quickly turned around, storming down the hallway―she did not remember ever running that fast, she blamed it on the adrenaline. She heard Naoki call after her once, but she did not care, she was not going to stop. Running straight, left and right, stairways down, straight again, stairways down again, she did not even know where she had ended up stopping. Trying to calm down her frantic breathing, she looked around and saw she was in a different hallway―she had managed to escape Naoki, for now. She leaned on a wall, her hands busy trying to dry the tears running down her face.

I can't believe they would believe him over me... What do I do now? she thought, sniffling as quietly as possible. If a teacher sees me here, I'm done for... I just want to leave.