ix . competition

With Touya's entrance, there was now an awkward atmosphere surrounding the group. Everything had been going smoothly―the members were getting along, the mood was nice―until he showed up. Touya's eyes lit up at the sight of his favourite person and he was quick to take the seat to her right as the one to her left had already been occupied by someone. The teacher sighed. "Oshima, you're late very often. You need to change that or it'll have consequences," she warned and gave the group a note with their topic written on it. They thanked the teacher who then went back to sit at her desk.

(first name) took the note and read the lines that were written on it loud enough for the group to hear. "Japan's involvement in World War II," she announced and let out a relieved sigh. "I like the topic. It's interesting and you can research a lot about it," she added. "What do you think?" Looking around, all of the members seemed to be satisfied. The only one she paid no heed to was Touya―at least that was the plan, however, she could not help herself when he was seated right next to her. Turning her head as naturally as possible, she saw Touya staring into the distance, but the second he noticed her eyes on him, he turned his attention to (first name), giving her a happy smile. She quickly turned away again, scratching her head awkwardly.

Everything was going so well... why am I not even surprised he showed up here? She sighed. Glancing to her left, she saw Naoki noticeably staring at Touya. Glancing to her right, she saw the latecomer stare right back. Sitting right in between the boys who were having an unofficial staring contest, she felt like it would be better if she was not there. Fortunately, their teacher came up to them again, interrupting whatever was going on. She gave them a paper which the team had to fill in and hand back upon consultation. "A team leader?" Naoki read out loud, pushing up his glasses.

"How about Hanamori-kun or (first name)-chan?" Emiri suggested. Shooting her a frown, (first name) inquired, "Why would you nominate me? Hello? Emiri?"

"Tozawa-san is right. You two seem to be the most reliable of us," Yuko commented, a finger on her chin as she was considering the options.

"Are you sure you'd be able to take a position this big, (last name)?" Naoki teased, throwing an arm around (first name)'s shoulder. She could feel her eye twitch. She was sure―no, she knew that she had absolutely no skills that would make a great leader―no motivation, creativity, sense of responsibility or communication. However, admitting that, she would play right into Naoki's hands and she was way too prideful for that. That left her with one possible answer. "Of cou―!"

"Of course she'd be able to do it. I vote for (first name). Let's decide this democratically," Touya spoke for (first name), trying to slap Naoki's arm off her shoulder. "And who are you to decide this?" Naoki snapped back, his grip around (first name) only tightening. Hands ruffling through her hair, she shouted, "You two are so annoying!" which turned the teacher's attention to them. "Everything alright?" she asked from her desk. As she received silent nods, she went back to work on the stack of paper in front of her.

Clearing his throat, Naoki took his arm away from (first name) and mumbled an apology. Touya, on the other hand, just huffed―like a little child―and turned away. 

"That's it, I'm taking the leader position. Otherwise we'll never begin with this stupid project," (first name) announced and filled in the paper. She named the team members and topic before returning the paper to the teacher and starting their research on their subject.

***

In the end, the group only managed to gather some basic information about their topic. It turned out that each member had different foreknowledge and to get everyone on the same level, Naoki held a little history lecture. Good for him, though, the teacher that had been watching over the group perceived his engagement as very positive―what a nerd. Just like back then.