viii . preparation

The following day, the group formations for the project that (first name) had not known anything about would be revealed. After Naoki had asked her for her help the other day, together they went into the student council's room where students from other classes were gathered, working on some organisational issues. Naoki greeted the majority of them and sat down on an empty seat, waving his hand, calling (first name) over to him. Complying, she could not help but notice the glances from the other students―obviously, why was an outsider here? She was starting to regret this decision as well.

Now, Emiri stood at (first name)'s desk, having a conversation before the first lesson would begin. "I'm so nervous!" Emiri exclaimed, her hands slightly shaking. "Geez, calm down, Emiri. It's going to be alright. You'll just have to work together with some other students," (first name) tried to relax her friend, taking the other's hands in hers, drawing circles on them with her thumbs. "I'm more worried about the range of topics. Hanamori said it could be anything, meaning you could get assigned some nasty one," she finished and sighed. A few minutes later, the teacher entered the classroom and Emiri quickly went to her seat.

"Sit down and listen!" the teacher shouted and made the students shut up as they quietly sat down on their seats. "I am going to explain the upcoming project to you," she started. "Classes A to C and D to F will work together. This box," she pointed at a small box on the desk in front of her, "contains the lots. Each of you will pull one. Each colour is available twice per each class, that means at least six people will work together. Exception is if there's an uneven number of students in a class. The topics will be given to you after the teams are formed," she finished explaining and started walking through the class with the box in her hand.

Students pulled a lot, looked at their friends in a disappointed manner when they had not pulled the same colour. Then, it was Emiri's turn. (first name) watched her and noticed she was still extremely nervous. Emiri was very shy―it took her a long while to open up to Rina or (first name)―this was probably the worst form of torture for her. With shaking hands, she pulled out a red paper stripe, then she locked eyes with (first name), a panicked expression on her face.

Okay, please let me get a red one! (first name) thought to herself and tried to give her friend a reassuring look while waiting for her teacher to come by her seat.

Finally, it was her turn. She put her hand into the box and grabbed a stripe. Taking a sharp breath in, she quickly pulled it out. Then, she looked at it and exchanged glances with her friend.

Lucky! It's a red one! We're in a team together, Emiri! Her eyes said and she received a relieved nod from Emiri.

Classes A to C, huh? (first name) thought, now that this burden was taken off her, she could relax a bit. That means there is a chance to work together with Hanamori. He is smart, so it should be easy with him. Let's hope he's pulled a red one.

***

After the lesson, the students were told to find their groups. It was the last day of the week and the teachers wanted the future group members to already be acquainted before the real work would begin next week. Suddenly, Rina jumped on (first name)'s back and whined. "Finally we get the chance to work together but I'm unlucky! As usual!" she complained, burying her head in (first name)'s shoulder.

Running a hand through her red hair in a reassuring manner, (first name) told her, "You're going to be okay. You like making new friends. Haven't you befriended half of your class? Couldn't be me." She shrugged, hoping it sounded like a compliment.

"Ugh, but you and Emiri are in a class together and now even in the same team! How lucky can you get?!" Rina sighed. "I wanna work with you!" She pouted, her arms tightening around (first name). "I'm sure we'll get an opportunity for that one day," the other replied, rubbing her friend's arm. "We'll have to go now and find our group. See you later," (first name) tapped on Rina's arm, signaling her to let go, so she did. Emiri waved her hand at Rina with an apologetic look on her face. Then, her and (first name) walked off.