xvii . you're it

Or rather―their lips almost touched. Just a split second before Touya was close enough to meet (first name)'s lips with his own, the bell of his apartment door had rung several times. They parted from each other and Touya angrily glared in the direction of his door, still holding (first name) in his arms. Eventually, the ringing stopped, but was replaced with aggressive knocking―like someone repeatedly slamming their fist against the door. In addition to that, a muffled voice came from the other side.

"Hey, Oshima!" the voice yelled. "I know you're in there!"

(first name)'s eyes widened at that familiar voice. That familiar voice she once used to consider likeable. "Isn't that Hanamo―?"

"Don't let that filthy name into my apartment," Touya interrupted by putting his hand over her mouth. "Stay here," he added. "I'll take care of him," he informed and let go of (first name). He exited his room, leaving her behind―and she just stood there, starting to comprehend the situation―the opportunity.

He didn't even lock the door. I could just run out and let Hanamori save me... right?

Then, she noticed two different voices in the room next door―loud voices that were fighting. (first name) gulped. Touya had let Naoki enter his apartment and the only thing separating them was an unlocked door.

This is my chance! Hanamori is gonna save me! I'm getting out of here!

Carefully, she made her way towards the door where she put her hand on the handle, ready to open it. From that position, she could hear Naoki's voice clearer. Suddenly, she had doubts about her plan. Naoki Hanamori, a person she once considered a good friend, was a delusional liar. She still had not comprehended the fact that he had a weird obsession with her―he even went as far as involving her two best friends into it. Who knows what Naoki would do with her? Maybe Touya's space was a much safer place after all. Her thoughts were interrupted when she heard Naoki's voice right on the other side of the door. She panicked and quickly removed her hand from the handle. Naoki sarcastically said, "You don't mind if I open it, do you? You have nothing to hide anyway."

She heard no reaction from Touya. How was he that calm when he was about to be found guilty of what he had been accused of?

Opening the door with a dash, Naoki faced a very plain bedroom. He went in further and examined every corner of it. Nothing on the bed, behind or under it. While he was desperately trying to find something or someone, Touya just stood in the entrance room of his apartment, leaning onto a wall and watching the other with an unimpressed expression.

"And? Do I clean well?" Touya scoffed, he could not hide the smirk making its way onto his face. "You're weird, you know that? Why are you randomly looking through my place?" he added, gaining Naoki's attention. "What are you, a pervert?"

Naoki could not help but let out a small chuckle at his words. "You're calling me a pervert? You're a fine one to talk! Kidnapping poor girls and doing whatever to them," he accused.

"How did you even come up with that bizarre idea?" Touya frowned.

Naoki had to admit that he did not have any sturdy evidence. It was just his feeling that told him there could not be any other reason for (first name)'s disappearance other than Touya. He had noticed his behaviour around her often enough and in his eyes this was proof enough.

"I'll have enough evidence once I finish examining your shitty place," Naoki mumbled to himself, but loud enough for Touya to hear. He started looking through the rest of Touya's small apartment while the owner continued watching him do so.

"You're just trying to frame me," Touya commented while Naoki was looking through the cupboards of his kitchen.

"Stop sleep talking," he replied while not even batting an eye to his remark. Touya went up to where Naoki was to continue their conversation. 

"Your clash a few days ago wasn't very discreet, you know? What if I told anyone what you had said there? That wouldn't look very good for you. I'm probably even right. You keep her at your place somewhere and now try to divert suspicion from yourself."

Naoki's eyes widened as he heard the accusations thrown at him―did Touya really hear what had been said during that argument? This also marked the first time he heard him talk so much―usually, he would stay quiet and aloof, hiding his actual clever and sly nature.

Shortly after that, Naoki sneered, "What are you trying to do, reverse psychology?"

"Why would I even let you in my apartment if I had something to hide? You're not as smart as you pretend to be, are you?" Touya said before his back collided with the rough wall behind him, a hand harshly grabbing the collar of his shirt.

"Hey," Naoki called in a dangerously annoyed voice as he gripped at Touya's collar even tighter. "Stop fucking with me, it's getting ridiculous," he added and let out a shaky laugh. "If someone is to be suspected of kidnapping (last name), then it'd certainly be you," he finished.

"I think you forgot about what I told you," Touya reminded, referring to the event that led to all of this―not that he had heard any of it, but (first name) told him what had happened after all.

"What about the fact that you clung to her ever since the new year had begun?" Naoki inquired, raising an eyebrow. "And made her uncomfortable with that," he added, his voice almost mocking him.

"That's none of your business. Kinda weird that you would notice that, though. Did you stalk her by chance?" Touya said, looking at Naoki completely unfazed despite his attempts to piss him off. He noticed Naoki growing more irritated when his plan did not work again. "You know what? If (last name) doesn't show up at school tomorrow, see what I'll do," Naoki informed and let go of Touya, heading towards the front door. He did not wait for a reaction. He simply left, closing the door with a loud thud.

Touya did not even watch him leave. He fixed his messed up collar before going back to his room again. There he looked around and smiled. "It's uncomfortable in there, isn't it?" he asked into the empty room and opened his wardrobe, a girl hiding between hanging clothes. Bashful, she crawled out of there and quickly stood up. She fixed her hair that had turned into a mess from pushing herself through Touya's clothes.

"Of course it is! H-how did you even know I was in there?" (first name) asked, still fixing some strands of her hair. "Huh? That's the most obvious hiding place," Touya informed, he was clearly amused―amused, because he had successfully made Naoki give up or was it something else?

(first name) raised an eyebrow at him. "Then why didn't he check here?" she asked, both of them knew who she was referring to. "Beginner's mistake," Touya replied, giving her a smirk. She let out a small, "What?" before he spoke again. "I'm joking," he added and could not suppress a little laugh. (first name) pouted―why was he toying with her now?

"Tell me, (first name)," Touya began, his voice confident. He went closer to her and put a hand to her cheek, gently caressing it with his thumb. "Why didn't you try to escape? Why didn't you let him know you were here?" he asked, his eyes looked almost arrogant. He knew he was almost where he wanted to be―much to her misery which she could not know about yet. He put a strand of hair behind her ear, sending shivers down her spine at his light touch.

"Perhaps, have you fallen for me, (first name)? Do you want to be with me?"

----------

[ last edited: 21/12/15 ]

[ word count: 1336 ]