xviii . retreat

It was early in the morningit had been a while since (first name) woke up at a time like this. Rubbing the sleep out of her eyes and letting out a long yawn, she slowly got up and made her way to Touya's bathroom to freshen up. She turned on the cold water and splashed it on her tired face, grimacing at the icy sensation on her skin. She grabbed the soft towel Touya had prepared for her and dabbed her face dry. She lifted her head to check herself out in the mirror, but what she saw there shocked hera girl so weak and fragile, on the verge of breaking apart any second.

This girl was her? She did not want to believe it. However, she did not have the time to worry about that now. She had to get ready for her first school day again in ages. Part of her was excited, but also scared. How would everyone else react to her suddenly coming to school again? More importantly, what would Emiri, Rina and Naoki say?

She went back to Touya's room which by now was more her room, counting the nights she had spent there, and changed out of her sleepwear. She put on her freshly washed school uniform which smelt of flowers, brushed her hair and quickly threw some pens and paper together into a bag since she did not have her usual school bag with her. Taking a last look at the mirror, she noted that she looked better than before, but she felt like she was on the verge of a breakdown.

Before she left Touya's apartment, she took a glance into the living roomthe room Touya had been sleeping in ever since he had taken her in. It was strange, she thought, she had not seen him yet. She saw the empty sofa he slept on. It looked like no one had used it in a long time, but as she had been at his place for a while now, she had learned that he was a very tidy person, so she figured he did not like leaving a mess behind him. Even so, she did not see Touya anywhere.

Had he already left? Why would he leave so early when school only starts in an hour? (first name) wondered, but there was no time to examine the situation, so she just left the apartment. On her first steps in freedom, another thought crossed her mind. Why did he even leave so early? Isn't he worried about me running away instead of going to school?

Then, before she realized it, she had already arrived at her school. Tired and chit-chatting students walked past her, in the direction of the entrance. Seeing all the different groups of friends, (first name) felt a stinging pain in her chest, remembering recent incidents. It took her a while to build up the courage to enter the schoolshe could not stop wondering how other students would react to her return. As she walked down the hallway, she noticed familiar faces, either classmates or club members. Most of them ignored her, a few looked at her with a judging expression before leaving quickly to which she could only frown. Why did she get the feeling some of them were avoiding her?

"You're kidding, right? (first name) is back at school?!"

That voiceshe recognized it as Rina's. Slowly, (first name) walked in the direction where the voice came from, but when Rina's voice got louder, she hid behind a corner. She did not dare to show herself to Rina and the others with her, not after what had happened.

"Wow! How brave of her to show up at school again!" said a voice (first name) had not heard before. Then, the same voice laughed. "Isn't she ashamed of herself? I would be so embarrassed! But then again, I wouldn't do stuff like that," it finished, earning a few modest giggles from the others around. Peeking around the corner, (first name) saw the source of these wordsa girl next to Rina, probably a new friend of hers. But what was she even referring toashamed of what?

"Right?" Rina agreed. "Always acting like a goody two-shoes, but then she stole Naoking from Emiri and at the same time hooked up with Oshima from our class! Not only was Emiri played with, but also the two guys. I can't believe I was friends with someone as two-faced as her," she ended her sentence with a deep sigh, the disappointment in her voice clearly audible. But, why did she say these things? None of this was true!