xiii . hide and seek

The rain was pouring on the ground, people hiding under their umbrellas, couples lovingly sharing one, snuggling closer underneath it.

Touya and (first name) could be mistaken as a couple by how close they were, how tightly his hand clutched around hers. Some people stared―how long had these children been storming through the rain, both of them completely drenched? Neither of them had noticed. Touya's aim was to take (first name) away from her problems and for her, the sound of the rain was so distracting that everything else around had become dull and quiet―she could only focus on the boy in front of her. Her wet hair was stuck to her face. She used her free hand to remove a few bangs from her view. She saw Touya's hair and clothes also dripping wet, but he did not seem to care, sternly walking through the mass of people.

(first name) shivered from the combination of the cool fresh air and rain. After all, she was only wearing her school uniform and was completely drenched. She looked up at the dark grey sky and watched the raindrops fall. Checking her surroundings, she saw a group of friends hiding under an umbrella together―a beautiful, but melancholic sight. She quickly averted her eyes, her heart felt heavy.

She did not understand why she was following Touya, why she was letting him lead her somewhere without much resistance. She felt lost after what had happened, maybe she wanted someone to help her find something, a path out of her problems.

Time passed―maybe ten minutes―and the two of them were still walking in the same direction. (first name) wondered if Touya even had a destination. Suddenly, she felt uneasy. She did not know why she was following him―the person that claimed to love her and had questionable ways of showing that. Should she be doing this?―she thought. Yanking her hand away, she actually managed to get out of Touya's grip who had not expected such a sudden move. He quickly turned around, reaching for (first name) again, but she had already run away in the opposite direction.

***

She ran. She did not know where she was going, but she ran. She ran away again. All she ever did was run away from her problems, she remarked mentally. Her drenched clothes added extra weight on her as well did the rain pouring down. She had no stamina left, she did not know where she was―not once had she looked up to see where she was running. She saw a little shop in front of her, its entrance sheltered by a roof. She decided to hide underneath it. She was cold, she was shivering and completely drenched by now. She tried to catch her breath and checked her surroundings. There was no sign of Touya―why did she feel so disappointed?

She was startled by the loud sound of a bell ringing―a school bell. Lifting her head, she looked around once again and noticed that she had stopped right next to her school. Hesitating, she eventually decided to go back to school―her bag was still there after all. She walked up to the school gates, waiting as masses of students were exiting the school. Understandably, it had been the last lesson after all. Overhearing the conversations of a group of friends, she heard them making plans on how to spend the weekend together. She frowned at the sight of Naoki who was happily chatting with his friends, his bag lazily hanging on his shoulder.

Good for you. How good for you, she scoffed, her lower lip quivering.

"I wonder where (first name)-chan was during the last lesson... I'm worried about her," Emiri said as she carried two school bags―one was hers, the other belonged to her friend. Rina stopped in her tracks when she noticed the rain outside, pulling an umbrella out of her bag. Emiri and her left the school building once both of them had opened their umbrellas. It was only early in the afternoon, but the dark clouds in the sky made it seem like it was late in the evening. Rina sighed heavily. "You're worried about (first name)? After everything Naoking said? They're both shitty people," she commented and slowly trailed off when she saw (first name) standing in front of the school gates in the pouring rain.