A New Leaf

"To those who have made it to the main matches, there is only one of you missing, so congratulations. I will now begin the explanation for the main matches..." Yosuga zoned out on the Hokage's speech. She wasn't thinking about anything in particular, her mind was blank now. All she felt she needed to know about the main matches was that they were in a month, and Minami was her opponent. 

***

Yosuga laid on her back in the middle of a field. She held a kunai in her hand, tossing it up and catching it in her hand over and over again. It was night time, and she had finished her training a while ago. It didn't take her long to realise that she needed a teacher. Someone to help her train. Someone who would push her to her limits. She already knew who fit that profile perfectly, but she hated him. Though, she realised that she'd have to set aside her personal feelings if she was going to get stronger to defeat Minami. 

She sighed, bringing herself to her feet. She quickly left the field, making her way to her clan compound by rooftop. It was quiet, most people already in bed. 

When Yosuga made it to her destination, she took a breath as she stood on the doorstep. Though, before she could bring herself to knock on the door, it flew open. Yosuga was met by a boy only about two or three years older than her. He stood a full head taller than her, and his curly green hair was a messy mop atop his head. He yawned, leaning on the doorframe. 

"Daichi." Yosuga spoke, not bothering to look at him. Daichi's mouth curled into a thin smirk as his head tilted to the side. 

"Kaeru-san." His smirk turned into a wry smile. "How nice it is to see you. It sure has been a while." Yosuga scowled. She hated that nickname. It meant frog, and she hated frogs. 

"I need you to train me." She reluctantly requested, crossing her arms over her chest. Daichi's eyebrow flew up. 

"Oh? The big bad Kaeru needs my help? That sure is surprising." He drawled mockingly. 

"Shut up. Will you help me or not? I don't have time to be wasting on you here." Yosuga snapped. Daichi chuckled. 

"Oh of course I'll help my cute little sis." He ruffled her hair. Yosuga quickly smacked his hand away. They weren't siblings. They weren't even related. For that, she was grateful, because then she didn't need to see him as much. The only reason she wanted to train with him is because he was one of the most powerful in the clan, being fifteen years old and a former ANBU. 

"Don't touch me." She took a step back. Daichi chuckled again at her attitude. 

"Cruel as always, I see." He pushed off the doorframe and stretched. "Well, I don't feel like training right now so we'll start tomorrow. Maybe around eight. Or seven. Seven-thirty. Say, what are you training for anyways? You wouldn't come to me unless it was something serious." 

"The Chunnin Exams. The final exam is in a month and I'm fighting Minami." Daichi whistled at Yosuga's response. 

"Your sister? Gee, I don't know. She has one major ego and I wouldn't really want to get on her bad side. But then again, she isn't all she talks herself up to be. I've sparred with her. She-" 

"Tell me her weaknesses later. Seven-thirty at Training Ground 4. Don't you dare be late." Yosuga was already walking away. Daichi had a thing for monologging, and Yosuga preferred not to be around to hear them. 

"Okay Kaeru-san! I'll see you there my cute little sis!" Daichi called to her, waving at her back before closing the door to his house and going back to sleep. 

Not wanting to go home just yet, Yosuga walked around the village, enjoying the silent, windy night. Of course, it was short-lived. 

"Oh, Yosuga." Yosuga rolled her eyes before turning around to meet her sensei, Kakashi. "I didn't expect you to be up so late."

"Do you need anything?" Yosuga blandly questioned. 

"Actually, I had to talk to you about your teacher for the Chunnin Exams. Sadly I can't teach you-"

"I don't need you to teach me." Yosuga's words came out a bit harsher than intended. 

"Oh?" Kakashi's eyebrow raised in question. 

"I already have a teacher of my choosing, far stronger than you. I knew you'd probably blow off me and Naruto so you could train Sasuke, so I got my own. Whatever sensei you got me is most likely below me, but thank you anyway for trying." Yosuga droned. While she expected Kakashi to be somewhat hurt by her words, he chuckled. 

"I kind of figured I wouldn't have to worry about you." He answered. Yosuga softened up a little. 

"You understand, right? There is nothing you can teach me. You may be my team's sensei, but you are not my teacher. I'm not on the same level as them, or you. Even Sasuke is below me. I know that now. As a Shimizu, my expectations are much higher than yours, even as a jounin." Kakashi's eye widened slightly as Yosuga continued. "I respect you as a superior rank, but as a teacher, you are below me." 

She turned and walked away. 

"I don't need you anymore." 

And she wasn't wrong. She didn't need him. Kakashi knew that. His student didn't need him. She probably never did, and thought she still has a lot to learn, none if that could be learned from him. She was a Shimizu, what was he expecting? She was different from most of them- or she was before. These exams have changed her, and Kakashi wasn't sure if it was because of the death of her cousin or her being the cause of death of someone else, but she has matured and conformed to the ways of the Shimizu. She had turned over a new leaf. She now thought highly of herself, and she wasn't wrong to. She had the abilities of a chunnin or higher and Kakashi knew that from the start. It was expected from her, being from her clan. Even so, she was still a child, and she still needed guidance. If not with strength, then with something else. She needed an adult that would be there for her to help pick her up when she fell, not kick her while she's down like her father. He would be that adult. 

For now, at least.