Over For Now

"Y-Yosuga." Daichi whispered, swallowing hard in an attempt to make his throat less dry. His jaw clenched and unclenched as he brought his ear to her mouth. Breathe. He willed her to breathe. That all she had to do.

He brought two shaky fingers to her neck. Beat. He willed her heart to beat. That was all she had to do.

He felt nothing.

He bit his lip, squeezing his eyes shut for a second. He slowly shook his head, bringing his hands together and pressing down on her chest. Her heart was going to beat.

He pinched her nose, covering her mouth with his and breathing air into her. She was going to breathe.

This repeated for so long. Too long. He would do this as long as she needed. He would wait for her to breathe as long as possible.

But as minutes passed by, Daichi had to fight off doubts. She was going to live. Her heart was going to beat. She was going to breathe.

Her dull glassy eyes peered up into the sky above. Her mouth slightly opened, as if she had something to say but found it too much of a hassle to speak.

"Dammit, Yosuga!" He yelled, pressing an ear to her chest. Nothing. "Breathe, Yosuga! Please, please, breathe!"

Members of the Shimizu Clan weren't supposed to be so affected by death. They really weren't supposed to be close enough to anyone to be able to experience such emotions. The clan would be disgusted at his actions right now. He was expected to keep his cool no matter what. He was expected to move on in the blink of an eye in the event of a death.

But this was the girl he grew up with. The girl he vowed to fight, but to protect at the same time. He could never really hurt her, as much as he would deny. He could never really kill her.

But didn't he just do that?

"Oh kami..." His voice cracked, his eyes filled with unshed. He killed her. He killed her.

He killed her. He killed her. He killed her.

He killed her.

"Yosuga. Kaeru-San." He brushed her hair out her face. He brought her body close to his, hugging her. His face buried in the crook of her neck as her head limply hung over his arm. Her green hair contrasted her now pale face, spilling out of Daichi's embrace.

He wasn't going to cry. No, he had done enough of that in his lifetime.

When he injured his leg.

When he was kicked out of the ANBU.

When Yosuga's mother died.

When Takeshi died.

Though, why not add her to his list of reasons to cry?

Because he was finished with crying behind closed doors. He was finished with crying in general. He was finished with the harsh penalties that came with showing emotion in his clan. He was finished with all his expectations as the so-called prodigy. He was finished with not being able to have really friends. He was finished with not being able to be close to anyone. He was finished with being alone.

He was just finished.

So he wouldn't cry. Yosuga wouldn't want him to cry over her. She wouldn't want anyone to cry over her. So he sat there with her in his arms. Even as his leg began to ache, and the pain had returned to his body. If he was lucky, maybe he would die too. He didn't want to live a life where he wasn't allowed to be what he wanted. Where he was controlled like a puppet, used only to protect those he didn't even know. To protect villagers that would whisper about him everytime he walked down the street, like he couldn't hear them. Like he didn't know how messed up his clan was.

But then he heard it. He felt it.

One breath.

One beat.

He quickly lifted his head, and watched as her chest slowly, weakly rose. He heard as she slowly, weakly sucked in a breath through her mouth. He watched as her eyes closed, then opened again. He watched as she furrowed her eyebrows at him.

"Takeshi?" Her voice came out as an almost inaudible whisper. Daichi ignored the sting in his chest when she said that, but answered her anyway, a sad smile spreading across his face.

"No, it's Daichi." He whispered back.

"Daichi." She spoke, slowly blinking.

"Yeah."

"Takeshi's dead."

"...Yeah."

***

When the two finally recuperated, Yosuga remembered that Luka was still trapped. He seemed surprised when he saw her, a blush creeping across his cheeks. He hadn't seen her in correct lighting before. Daichi lifted an eyebrow at the kid, a bit weirded out by how he reacted to seeing Yosuga. Though the girl just ignored him for the most part.

Luka's parents were overjoyed to see their son again, while the other parents mourned for the loss of their children. A funeral was held for the kids who never came home, and the village medics did their best in healing Yosuga and Daichi's wounds. They weren't very effective, but they tried, which was appreciated.

The two Shimizus found themselves a bit jealous of the family-like atmosphere that filled the village. They craved that, watching the families spend time with eachother without worry. They didn't have to share their affection in private. It was accepted here. Father's took care of their families. Children looked up to their parents. Mothers cooked and watched over the children while their father was away. They all loved eachother. And that was okay. It was okay to love eachother. What a foreign notion.

Daichi was sent back with crutches. He couldn't walk on his left leg due to his injuries. It was hard on him to not be able to move, but he said he would work hard to gain the functionality of his leg.

Yosuga's injuries from the ooze were covered in bandages, and for the most time they didn't bother her, but more often than not Daichi would spot her playing with them. She would hold her wrist, moving her thumb in circles or rubbing them with her palm. Or she would rub her neck a bit too hard for his liking. She wasn't very fond of bandages.

Along the way, Daichi would teach her a jutsu or two, or show her as many techniques as he could with a leg that didn't work.

It took them longer to get home because Daichi couldn't run nearly as fast, but Yosuga didn't mind it because she got to learn more.

The bad things were over for now.