Something Bad Happened

"I came as soon as I heard. Is he okay?" Yosuga burst into the hospital, finding the reception desk quickly.

"Um... who?" The nurse asked, slightly frightened by the girl who had just appeared before her, practically screaming in his face.

"Sasuke!" Yosuga impatiently said. "Sasuke Uchiha!"

"Oh-um, yes. He's just down the hall to your right-" And she was gone as quickly as she came.

For the past couple of weeks, Yosuga had done well in balancing her time with Maseo and hanging out with Team 7. Every now and then she'd help rebuild some buildings around the village, bother Kakashi, waste time at Emiko's shop with Daichi when there was nothing to do, and even hang out with Kiba, who surprisingly wasn't loud and obnoxious all the time.

She never stepped foot into her home. Not even once. She either stayed at Daichi's place, Emiko's house, or slept at the training grounds. She refused to meet the dark hallways that slowly emptied over time.

Recently Team 7 had gotten a mission to the Land of Tea, which ended up lasting a couple days. Yosuga didn't really mind. She kept herself busy, and barely noticed their absence. It was only just now that they returned, with an injured Sasuke no less. Kiba had told her of their return, but didn't specify just how injured Sasuke was. Which was barely at all.

"You sure gave me a scare." Yosuga let out a sigh, sitting down in a chair by the bed. "Thanks for making me run all the way down here for nothing."

She noticed how Sasuke even look at her. He didn't even make a move to acknowledge her presence. She pursed her lips, looking down at her hands. She had been meaning to ask him a question for the longest time, but never knew how to go about it. They sat in silence for a long while.

She wondered if it would even be a good idea to ask him while he looked like this. So bleak. So... angry. But at the same time, she had to get this off her chest. He was right there, so why not make use of that?

"Sasuke... We're friends, right?" Yosuga asked, wringing her fingers. "You're my friend?"

After a long moment, Sasuke finally acknowledged her. He slightly turned his head to her with a frown. He was tempted to tell her no. That they weren't friends. He had spent so much time on relationships, he hadn't gotten any stronger. He was no closer to beating Itachi than he was on that fateful night. He couldn't afford to have friends. Though, the look in her eye told him to say yes. She was already hurting so much, he could tell. Why would he hurt her more? He did care for her, as much as he would try to deny it.

"Yes." He answered in a clipped voice.

"Then can I ask you something... Personal? The others... They won't understand." Yosuga seemed to become smaller, as if what she was referring to was hurting her. Sasuke nodded his head slowly, curious as to why she was looking at him with such sad eyes. Asking him questions in such a sad voice.

"My family... How am I supposed to feel, now that they're gone?" Sasuke's eyes slightly widened at her question. "I-I'm sorry to bring it up, I just- I'm sad, but I'm also angry. So angry. But I don't know at who, or what. Because it's my..." Yosuga swallowed, taking a breath. She wouldn't cry. She refused to. Not in front of him. She shook her head, leaning her elbows on her knees and rubbing her face. "I calculated everything, during that fight. I pictured everything that was going to happen, before it happened. It all went so perfectly in my head. I wanted to win. I made sure that I did. But my calculations were... off. I won... But now Minami... I killed her and now... Does that make me the same as... Him?"

They were silent for a while. They both knew exactly who she meant by him, but that didn't make thinking about him any easier for Sasuke. His blood automatically started to boil just at the thought. Itachi was a monster. Itachi deserved to die. Itachi was a murderer. But Yosuga?

She wasn't any of those.

Yosuga was kind. She was strong. She had killed people, but she wasn't a murderer. Even coming from a clan like hers, Sasuke knew she would never get used to killing people. She'd never just be okay with it. He could tell just by looking into her eyes. She blamed herself. She hated herself. Those weren't the eyes of a killer. They were the eyes of someone who has killed, but not because they wanted to. Not because they liked to.

"Gaara said I was just like him. He said I was a killer, just like him. I-"

"You're not a killer, Yosuga." Yosuga lifted her head at his words. "It wasn't your fault. You didn't mean to."

"What's the difference?" She whispered. "I killed her, didn't I? Her, and the girl from the preliminaries. I killed them. Just like Gaara and Itachi killed people. What makes me so different from-"

"Everything." Sasuke's words came out harsher than intended, but it made Yosuga quiet. "You're not anything like them. They killed because they wanted to. Because it pleased them. You're not like that. You're nothing like that." His tone calmed down. "When my clan was murdered, all I felt was hatred. But that's because I have someone to hate. You don't. There's no one to hate. There's no one to blame."

"But I-"

"Couldn't have done any more than you did. You couldn't have known what was going to happen. It wasn't your fault." Sasuke found it a bit strange that he was telling her that it wasn't her fault, when a part of him blamed himself for his clan's murder. But he could handle it. She couldn't. She wasn't like him.

"Would you hate me? If I was like them?" She whispered. "If I was like him?" Sasuke was silent for a moment, then shook his head.

"I could never hate you."

***

Yosuga left a while ago, saying she had to train, leaving Sasuke alone in his room nearly all day long. Alone with thoughts filled with bitter hatred.

Hatred towards his Itachi.

Hatred towards himself.

Hatred towards Naruto.

Hatred that lead to Sasuke quite literally asking for a fight with Naruto, and leaving a worried Sakura hoping that Yosuga would come and stop this. The boys listened to her. If anyone could, it would be her, right?

Then where was she?