07

"So I was thinking about something," Harry says from across the table. Ricky looks up at him with a tired expression, his face pale.

"Harry, can we not do this today. I'm exhausted," Ricky sighs. Harry can fee himself shrink in his chair but he wants this to be heard.

"I know and you don't have to do anything. Just listen. So I was thinking about maybe going to school? I'm 21 and I think going to college would be good for me," Harry admits slowly. Ricky just sets down his fork and places his head on his hand.

"How many times have I told you no to that idea?" Ricky asks in frustration and Harry frowns.

"I know but I think-"

"You don't think! You cook and you clean and you keep your mouth shut! Why is that so hard for you to understand?!" Ricky screams and Harry instantly starts to cry.

"I feel like a prisoner. This isn't good for me," Harry cries and Ricky stands from the table, pushing his plate and Harry watches as it falls to the floor.

"I know what's good for you. I was your counsellor and I know how to heal you. Do you want people to hate you again? Spit on you? Do you want that?" Ricky bellows and Harry shakes his head and sobs.

"No! No I don't but I want to feel like a normal kid," Harry explains and Ricky shakes his head as he starts to back away from the table.

"You're not a normal kid. That's why you met me and that's why I take care of you. The outside world is cruel but I can protect you from that and love you. Clean up the mess and don't bring this up again," Ricky dismisses. The man leaves the house and slams the door so hard Harry can feel the vibration. The young boy just brings his knees up to his chest and starts to sob loud and shake.

When he was younger he used to imagine himself finding a Prince Charming to come sweep him off his feet. He imagined a nice house with a big yard and maybe a puppy. He wanted to be a nurse and make everyone around him feel better. He wanted to help everyone. He didn't expect to be in love with a man that saw him as someone who can't take care of himself even if that's true. Harry can't do anything and Ricky knows that and still loves him but it hurts. Harry just wants him to have a little faith.

A knock on his door shatters his thoughts and he wipes his cheeks as he stands on shaky legs. He creeps closer to his front door and clears his throat.

"Hello?" He calls.

"Hey, Harry! Saw he left so I thought I'd come over and see how you're doing. Want to let me in?" Louis' voice carries through the wood door and Harry closes his eyes. He didn't even think about Louis showing up. "Are you okay? Harry, open up."

Louis tries the door and Harry watches as the knob jiggles but doesn't open. He sighs and just decides he doesn't care as he unlocks the door and opens it. Louis scans his splotchy face and looks behind him to see the plate and food on the floor. He furrows his brow as he steps into the small space and looks around.

"What happened?" He asks and Harry just shuts the door and shoulders passed him to clean up.

"We got into a fight and I knocked the plate over. It was an accident," Harry lies for him. Louis just looks at the mess and immediately grabs Harry's hand when he goes to pick up the pieces.

"Get the broom. You'll cut yourself," Louis worries. Harry just sighs as he stands up and grabs his broom from the side of the room. Louis takes it from his hands and gestures with his head to the couch. "Go sit. I can clean this."

Harry watches in fascination as Louis sweeps up the mess and throws it in the garbage. The boy even wraps up his full plate and puts it in the fridge for him. Harry's never seen Ricky even raise a finger and he lives in this house.

"Do you need to water your garden? We can do that now, get you some air," Louis grins. Harry just nods and Louis waits for him to walk over as the boy opens the door for him.

"Thank you," Harry whispers. He says it for today and yesterday and every time Louis' just sat with him and been his friend. Harry's never had a real, good friend and it's something he enjoys.

"Where's your hose? I promise I won't spray you with it," Louis jokes and Harry smiles at him and points to the side of the house.

"Just over there. I think I should weed it first. Want to help with that?" Harry wonders and Louis shrugs.

"I can do that. Lead the way, boss!"

Harry brings Louis down to his flower patch. The two get down and start pulling the small weeds the litter the dirt. Louis finds a worm and throws it in Harry's direction which makes the boy scream. Louis laughs and flicks dirt at him and Harry enjoys himself. He doesn't feel lonely for a change.

"So do you think we should get a kitten or a puppy? Liam and Niall want a puppy but me and Sophia are all for a kitten," Louis says. Harry ponders the idea as he wipes sweat off his head. The two are just finishing the weeding and then they have to water the flowers.

"I think a puppy would love the yard but a kitten is less work, especially if you're at school," Harry points out. Louis hums as they both move to the side of the house.

"True but you could watch the puppy for us in the day," Louis grins and Harry shakes his head and laughs.

"Probably not. Just get a kitten to start because they're a lot of work but not as much work," Harry concludes and Louis nods his head as he turns the nozzle on the hose.

"I like the way you think. Also do you think you could escape to the beach with us in a few days? Tell your old man that you're visiting your mom or something," Louis says as he waters the plants. Harry frowns and shakes his head.

"Don't talk to my mom. There'd be no reason for me to be gone so he wouldn't let me go," Harry replies and Louis frowns.

"Friends?"

"That's you," Harry admits in embarrassment and Louis looks over at him with a sad look.

"That's okay. We'll figure it out. Until then we can just hang out here like this," Louis compromises and Harry just nods.

"Guess so. Maybe you can help me bake some brownies tomorrow? Bring some home to everyone else?" Harry offers and Louis looks up at him, his eyes warm and his face soft.

"Yeah of course. That sounds really fun," Louis agrees and Harry just moves forward and wraps his arms around the boy. Emotions build in his chest and Louis drops the hose and holds him back, slightly confused.

"Thank you for being my friend," Harry mumbles, squeezing his eyes shut so he doesn't cry.

"Thank you for letting me be one," Louis mumbles back, slightly rocking them back and forth.

Harry wishes he got this comfort from the man he loves but he knows that won't happen. He's destined to be miserable but at least he has Louis now to make his days somewhat brighter.