31

"Just hear those sleigh bells jinglin', ring ting tinglin' to. Come on its lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you," Louis sings, his voice echoing around the apartment as they hang lights on Harry's new tree.

Harry watches him admiringly, his heart aching at the sight of him. He's wearing a big sweater and a Christmas hat, his feet covered in little kitty socks. Harry doesn't know how after all these months Louis still takes his breath away, still makes his heart pound and his hands sweat. How can he still feel like he has a schoolgirl crush while simultaneously being so deep in love he thinks he may drown in it.

"Do they look crooked? I don't think I wrapped them evenly," Louis critiques, standing back and tilting his head. Harry moves forward now, wrapping his arms around his waist and kissing his cheek.

"I think it looks fine," Harry promises. His tree is short and fat, glittering with fairy lights and making the room glow.

"You're not just saying that? I can make them better if you don't like it," Louis worries, his brows knitting together. Harry kisses his cheek again, his hands slipping under his sweater and resting on his tiny belly he's started to get over the break.

"I love it. Can't wait to put your presents under it," Harry reassures him. Louis turns just a little, Harry's hands still resting on his soft skin.

"I told you not to get me anything. I don't need anything," Louis says seriously. Harry can feel his own brows knit together now and he pouts.

"I wanted to get you something," Harry tells him, feeling like he's being scolded. He doesn't have a lot of money but he also doesn't have a lot of people to buy presents for.

"I only need you," Louis smiles, his hand coming up to cup his cheek and his lips soft as he kisses him. Harry can't help but think about how lovely it is to spend time with someone who loves you as much as you love them.

"I'm going to make some hot chocolate," Harry whispers as Louis pulls away and Louis pecks his lips again and then steps out of his embrace.

"Alright. I'm going to start my paper in bed," Louis whispers back. Harry kisses him again which results in Louis giggling and Harry hearts to swell.

He watches as the man walks down the hall as he moves into the kitchen. He turns off the living room light, leaving the tree to glow. He looks at it for a long time and he can picture more ornaments filling it each year. He can picture Louis asking about the lights every year and complaining about the ornament placement. Can hear his giggle bouncing around his head and Harry wants all of that. He wants tone this happy with this man for as long as he can.

He starts to make the drinks and he can hear the familiar sound of Louis typing fill the now quiet apartment. Harry never thought of what home meant until now. Home is this apartment with his plants and mismatched plates and cups. Home is listening to Louis type on his laptop and seeing his blue eyes every morning when he wakes up. Home is safe and happy and full of possibilities. Home is here. Home is Harry and Louis together.

He brings the two mugs down the hall and gently pushes open his door. Louis looks up quickly and smiles and then gets back to work. He sits in the middle of Harry's bed, his sweater off so his chest is showing, glasses on, hair messy from the hat that no longer sits on his head. He still wears his joggers and kitty socks and he looks perfect.

Harry sets down their mugs on his floor and Louis smiles. Harry still has a barely furnished room but it's comfortable. Louis reaches down and grabs his mug and blows on it before taking a sip. Harry lies down behind him, watching him because there's nowhere he'd rather look.

"More Shakespeare?" Harry asks to fill the silence. Louis shakes his head, his fingers back to typing and his mug on the floor.

"No. Essay on papers we read in class," Louis answers quietly, pausing to try and find right words. Harry sits up and places his own mug down on the floor, moving up behind him and kissing his shoulder.