14

Harry loves laundry day. The chore is so easy to do and it makes everything smell nice. He can lose track of his thoughts while doing laundry and nothing bad will happen.

It's still warm enough outside that he can hang his clothes on the line. The seasons are just preparing to change and Harry isn't sure he's ready for the nip of autumn to come. He brings his wet clothes outside to hang on the line and he smiles slightly when he sees Louis sitting just on the property line.

"Enjoying the day?" Harry asks politely, hanging one of Ricky's shirts.

"The view too," Louis teases, smiling widely as Harry places some pants on the line.

"He'll kill you if he sees you," Harry warns him. He tries to make it sound joking but worry lines his voice. Louis just waves him off.

"I promised not to go on your property anymore so I'm on mine. I didn't say I wouldn't talk to you," Louis points out and Harry knows it's stupid to have the jittery feeling he has. He knows it's bad for him to love seeing Louis sitting there waiting for him.

"I think you have a death wish," Harry tells him, almost done now with the clothes.

"Yeah, well, I think you have bad taste. Guess no ones perfect," Louis shoots back. Harry just looks down and coughs awkwardly. He doesn't like when Louis insults anything to do with Ricky because Louis doesn't understand.

"Come sit with me for a moment," Louis offers, his voice softer. Harry looks back at his empty house and then over to the spot in front of Louis. He could sit for a moment. Give himself a moment to breathe.

He slowly puts down the now empty basket and walks over to where the man sits. He sits in front of him and crosses his legs, looking down at the green grass. He can't seem to grapple any of his emotions. Yes, he's excited to have Louis there but he feels like he's betraying his boyfriend. The doesn't feel good about that either.

"Can I ask you a very personal question?" Louis wonders, his fingers brushing over the smooth grass. Harry's brain fires into overdrive and he worries about what he will ask.

"You can ask but I may not answer," Harry replies back curtly. He can feel himself preparing to shut down. He doesn't want Louis trying to pry into his life. He doesn't want Louis to know the life he lives.

"What happened with your mother?"

Louis' question surprises him and Harry flinches at the word 'mother'. He didn't expect the question. He's not prepared for this. He was waiting for him to ask about Ricky or Sarah or anyone except his mother.

"We don't speak," Harry replies quickly, his legs feeling numb and his heart suddenly feeling like a rock. It hurts his chest with each annoying thump.

"Why? I'm just trying to know you better..." Louis trails off and Harry swallows and looks down. He's told only one person about his mother. Only one person knows everything about him. Harry wants to keep it that way. If he tells Louis about his past than Ricky isn't his special person anymore. He's not the only person Harry trusts.

The thing is though, Harry wants to tell Louis. He wants to have someone else be there for him. He wants Louis to know about his sad parts and how he came to be what he is. Ricky will always be special - Harry loves him more than anything - but maybe Louis should get to be special too.

"Her boyfriend liked me better," Harry admits and Louis stops and just stares at him. Harry licks his lips and looks down at his bare feet, waiting for a reply.

"Did you like him too?" Louis asks, his voice tender.

"No," Harry whispers, his voice cracking. He's remembering again the feel of his hands on his skin. He remembers telling his mom about it and how she didn't understand. How she blamed him.