13

Harry's garden will die soon. Once fall really comes his flowers will wilt and die away until next year. That doesn't stop him from going outside and still watering them and weeding them. It's stupid to think he can prolong their lives but that's okay. He's always been kind of stupid.

"Harry! I haven't seen you in a while," Louis' voice calls out. Harry stiffens at the sound and it takes all his strength not to turn around and smile at him. He just keeps working.

"Go away, Louis," Harry says, his voice low enough he prays Louis can't hear him.

"Go away? Are we going to have to have this argument again?" Louis sighs, sitting down next to him. Harry forces himself not to look over at what he knows is a beautiful sight.

"I really can't be your friend," Harry tells him, his voice sounding small even though he begs it not to.

"Right because your boyfriend is a psycho. We've had this conversation before," Louis tells him with a wave of his hand and Harry snaps his head over.

"He's not a psycho! Maybe I just don't want to be your friend! Ever think of that?" Harry snaps and then he wishes he could gobble the words back up and take away the brief look of hurt that washes over Louis.

"He's really in your head, huh?" He mumbles and Harry looks away, his eyes threatening to release his tears.

"He's not," he grumbles and Louis picks at the grass.

"Why don't you want to be my friend?" Louis whispers and Harry opens his mouth to list reasons but he can't think of any.

"Because," Harry finally says and Louis snorts next to him.

"Because why?" He asks again and Harry shakes his head, his anger coming back.

"Why would you even want to be mine? Can't you just fucking leave?" Harry snaps again and Louis keeps looking down, picking pieces of grass and laying them on his bare knees.

"I like your company and how you listen. You love reading and I love talking about books with you. I find you really fascinating," Louis answers his first question only and Harry now looks away. "You're also pretty smart which I don't think gets brought up enough and you're such a kind person. You don't find a lot of people with a heart as good as yours."

"Stop it," Harry chokes out. He wants to hate Louis and send him away but he can't. He can't be as good of a boyfriend as Ricky. Ricky was strong enough to get rid of Sarah who needed him but Harry can't even let Louis go.

"If you really want me to leave I will. Just know I won't come back unless you personally ask me to. I don't like making a fool of myself," Louis tells him. Harry can feel a hole open in his insides and he thinks about never seeing Louis walk across their lawns towards him or showing up at his door. The idea hurts more than it should.

"I don't know what I want," Harry admits and Louis chuckles.

"I've gathered that," he notes and Harry cracks a small smile.

"I just want to be a good boyfriend," Harry continues and Louis hums.

"There's one thing. Why aren't you a good boyfriend if I'm around?" Louis asks and Harry frowns.

"I don't know. I'm just not," Harry tells him and Louis shakes his head.

"You're an excellent boyfriend. Whether I'm here or not," Louis promises him and Harry shakes his head.

"I feel like I'm betraying him," Harry sighs.

"How it's not like we're fucking," Louis points out and Harry blushes as the thought passes through his mind. "We're being good neighbours. Friends. Platonic dude pals, bros," Louis jokes and Harry let's out a small laugh.

"Are we?" Harry asks and he moves his eyes up to meet Louis'. Louis is already looking at him, his eyes intense and kind. Louis moves his hand up and gently moves one of Harry's curls off his forehead and smiles.

"Yeah. Right now we're good friends," Louis states and Harry notices the 'right now'. Does that mean they won't be friends one day or does that mean Louis misses Harry when he's not around too? Could he feel the same ache in his chest when he sees Harry through his window? Could he-

"Why are you at my house?"

Louis and Harry look away from each other and they both meet Ricky's dark grey eyes. His attention is focused on Louis and the scowl on his face ages him.

"I saw Harry gardening and thought I'd say hello," Louis answers, his eyes daring Ricky to do something.

"Get the fuck off my property and don't return," Ricky snarls and Louis raises his brow and slowly stands up.

"What's your problem?" He asks and Harry closes his eyes and wishes he could disappear.

"You trying to steal my boyfriend is my problem. Fuck off and find someone else, dirtbag," Ricky continues and Harry jumps up and slowly walks over to him. He wants to calm him down but he's scared he could get slapped. Luckily Ricky just pulls him close and holds him gently.

"This is my boyfriend. Not yours. Mind your own fucking business and stay away from him," Ricky threatens him and Louis raises his brows and then snorts and shakes his head.

"You have some fucking issues. I won't be on your property again," Louis promises. He looks at Harry and his face softens and he offers him a small smile before turning to leave. Once he's out of earshot Harry panics but Ricky doesn't change his gentle caress.

"I hate him," Ricky spits and Harry pulls away and turns to face him. The man is still watching Louis with anger and Harry gently touches his face.

"Don't worry about him," Harry urges and Ricky looks away from Louis and down to him.

"I do worry. He's young and attractive and he's really trying to get you. I just can't think about losing you," Ricky tells him and all thoughts about Louis thinking about him vanish and he shakes his head.

"I love you. Only you. He's just our neighbour. No one can take me away," Harry promises.

"Good because you're mine. No one else can have you. Ever."

Harry flinches at his tone and his words don't feel right. He should feel loved but he feels like an object. Or maybe a pet.

"He's still watching us. Let's give him something to see," Ricky grumbles and then he kisses Harry and it's so aggressive Harry wants to push him away. The man bites his lip too hard and his tongue tastes like liquor. Harry pulls away softly and tilts his head.

"Have you been drinking?" He wonders and Ricky shakes his head, leaning down to kiss him again.

"You know I can't drink. Why would I do that?" Ricky asks before connecting their lips. Harry can definitely taste the whiskey but he just ignores it and kisses him harder. Maybe if he kisses him enough he'll feel as loved as before.