Take It Slow (NovaHD) Chapter 10: Kisses of Ash

~~~

Aleks jumped at the sudden pressure on his lips. He wasn't expecting me at all. He pulled away quickly, blushing. "James... what are you doing?" He said nervously, placing the food down on the counter. I stayed planted in my spot, watching him. "You suprised?" I asked, gesturing to our company. He turned, only just now noticing that the rest of the guys took no notice to this sudden action. He looked around anxiously, then shook his head. "I just... I can't do this right now, James... I'm sorry." He stuttered, walking out on to the porch. My heart dropped to my abdomen. The guys stared in shock. Wasn't Aleks the one in favor of coming out? I bit my lip, unsure if I should follow him. Jordan reached out, but I stepped away, my hands out in front. "No... I need to deal with this myself.." I mumbled, followed Aleks out to the porch.

The stars created a heavily-lidded blanket above the mountains that were my backyard. It was quiet in the neighborhood, seeing as most people were on vacation. The moon was pretty dim tonight, a waning gibbus. It just barely shown through the tree branches, illuminating over Aleks' face. A thin stream of ashy breath escaped into the sky. He was sitting on the ledge of the deck, looking out over the array of well-kept houses. His tattooed arm supported him from behind as he leaned backwards, exhaling. He had removed his jacket to reveal a blood red shirt, however it was a size too small. His lower back was left revealed, his pale skin portraying a slim glow against the dark. I glanced down to his hand, only to notice that he had picked up something other than just a meal for the rest of the guys and I.

I leaned against the railing, looking at the stars. Aleks glaced at me, shifting away. "The hell 'you want?"  He muttered as I swung over to his side. I hoisted myself up onto the railing, looking at the box next to his hand. He looked down as well, and made a grab for his possession. But I was faster, snatching up the container, squinting at it. "Since when do you smoke?" I asked, throwing the box into my lap. He gave me a look. As he finished his cigarette, he flicked it behind us, landing next to the corner of the hot tub. He exhaled slowly, a cloud of smoke dancing through the air between us. "Don't think it's any of your business, asshole." He growled, grabbing the tin box of Marlboro's from my lap and lighting a second cigarette. I raised my eyebrow, scooting closer. As Aleks fumbled with his lighter, I moved my arm to support his back. I wanted to make this work. As he finally lit his treasure, he moved his hand back for support, only to find my own had taken its place. "What the fuck is your problem?" He grimaced, leaning forward so he made space in between us. I moved back, looking him in the eyes. "I thought you loved me." I said, feeling my face grow warm in pain. He wasn't getting it.

Aleks stared back at me, his eyes reddening from the smoke. "I don't feel like I know you anymore," I continued, the feeling of tears burning at the back of my eyes. I moved my hand closer to his, letting a single tear slip down my cheek. "Sp00n said you literally begged to see me. Now... it's almost like I've been cheating on you, that's how you're treating me." My voice choked as more tears fell onto the stained wood. Aleks moved closer. "James, baby... I'm sorry, it's just that... I thought you would never let anyone lay a finger on me, and then... you betrayed me." A small bruise was still visible on his cheek. I shifted even closer, our hips knocking together. I continued to cry. He was right.

"Aleks, darling, I promise I will never hurt you again," I felt his hand sneak up my sleeve, clasping my wrist. "You promise?" He asked, wrapping his leg around mine. I found his cheek with my hand, pulling his face closer. I sealed Aleks' lips with a kiss. It was a strange sensation; he now tasted like a campfire late at night along with a cold beer, but also had the same definition of a familiar mouth. Our tongues still spoke the same language, and picked up the conversation right where they had left off, as though we hadn't been separated for so long. I explored the new flavors of my partner for quite a bit; I located older tastes that I remembered well, while feasting on this new smokey one. Many people hated the smell and taste of cigars and nicatine, but it fit well with Aleks. It felt like an eternity, and Aleks huffed a breath of dissapointment when I broke the kiss of ashes. I leaned my head into his, sighing deeply. Our foreheads connected, leaving barely any space between our lips. Aleks' cigarette had gone out by now, and simply let it drop into the yard below. Jericho was salvaged.

"Promise." I whispered, holding Aleks' face close, since I didn't have plans to let him go anytime soon.