Take It Slow (NovaHD) Chapter 15 PART II: The Mantis

Take It Slow may not be coming in a frequently as possible, with school starting and all that. And also, I feel like it needs to end soon. But I will be writing more.

You can't escape me that quickly.

~~~

As we walked through the front door, Lucy sprawled herself out on the couch. "Thanks again for coming to get me James." She yawned, rolling around to face me as I walked into the kitchen. I simply nodded, feeling a clawing in my stomach. I hadn't eaten in my panicked rush, so I pulled some bread and other sandwich-prepping matierals out of the fridge. As I began building my lunch, I heard movement from behind me. I then felt two arms snake around my waist. I sighed, dropping the knife and piece of bread I was holding.

"Lucy, please..." I groaned, trying to pull her hands away from my sides. She slipped around me and watched me slice the different ingredients to put in my lunch. 

"So, buttercup," She began, playing with one of the many bangles on her wrists. "Isn't this kinda supposed to play out differently in the movies?" I scrunched my forehead up in frustration, turning to face her. 

"What the hell are you talking about Lucy?" I sighed, and she giggled. "Well, y'know, the poor princess gets trapped by an evil warlord, trying to lock her away forever, but then her knight in shining armor comes and rescues her, and they live happily ever after?" She explained, a certain childish light in her eyes. It pained me to see her so hopefull, but I shook my head. "No, Lucy, life doesn't work like that." The corners of her mouth dropped. "Why not? We could make it work..."

Just as she spoke, the back door slid open to reveal a shirtless Aleks, who was gleaming with sweat, and who had a pair of hedgeclippers in his hand as he wiped the sweat from his brow. God, he looked so damn fine. But I had to control myself, since Lucy was around. I heard her giggle from behind me as Aleks threw himself down in one of the office chairs.

"God, it's fucking hot out for September," He stated, his eyes adjusting to the dimness inside. He looked up at me, then at Lucy. He blushed the color of wine, and immediatley made his way over to the stairs. "Uh, sorry 'bout that, didn't know you had company..." He stuttered, and ran upstairs.

"Who was that?" Lucy giggled again, and I turned to see she had made her way back over to the couch.

"That's my bo-roomate, Aleks." I caught myself. I didn't wanna tell Lucy about my sexuality just yet, I'd give it some time. She seemed deeply interested in the show she had flipped the TV on to, which involved a bunch of pregnant fifteen year-olds. I went to my computer in the office, and planned to get some work done.

~~~

After about fifteen minutes, I heard a shriek come from upstairs. It startled me, and I hurried over to the stairs. Lucy had fallen asleep on the couch. I bolted up the stairs, only to hear the same person call my name.

"JAMES!!!" Aleks wailed. I was almost certain he was in the bathroom, because I heard the shower going. I pressed myself against the door. "Aleks?!" I hollered, hoping he could hear me. "What's the matter? Is everything alright?"

"No, everything is NOT alright, just get in here, PLEASE!!!" I wrenched the door open, to find a very strange sight.

Aleks had climbed up on to the counter next to the sink, with only a towel around his waist. He clung to the wall, his eyes full of fear. The group was a mess of water, clothes and towels, and not to mention that part of the shower curtain had been pulled down. "Aleks..." I gasped, looking around. "What happened?" He didn't say a word, but merely pointed at the rim of the tub.

A small, green, praying mantis danced around on the rim of the tub, soaking in the steam from the hot stream of tap. I sat there, stunned for a minute, then burst out laughing. Aleks grew extremely red, then smacked me on the head.

"Stop laughing and get it out of here!" In the middle of my hysterical fit of giggles, I managed to let the little guy go outside my office window. I returned to the shower, tears forming in my eyes from laughing so hard. Aleks gave me a look, then helped me straighten out the bathroom. When we finished, I held Aleks by the waist, a head on his shoulder.

"Aw, my poor baby is afraid of bugs." I gave him a pout, and he kicked me in the shins. "Hey, fuck you asshole. How about I dangle you off the third floor of a building, would you like that?" 

I smirked, and my arms around his skinny frame. "Hey, I think you may need protection to finish off your shower," He looked up, and blushed pink. "Mind if I join you?" He nodded, and began to slip off my belt.

~~~

After our satisfying shower together, Aleks decided he needed to go record. I hopped downstairs to find Lucy, completely immersed in her show. 

"Hey Luce." I said, dropping down next to her. She gave me a nod, continuing to watch. We stayed silent for a few minutes, until the commercials came. She looked over at me and smiled. 

"Hey buttercup, whatcha thinkin' 'bout?" I was honestly thinking about the amazing sex I had just had, but I decided against telling her that. Instead, I brought the subject back around to her.

"Lucy, I wanna know why you were at the police station today. And be honest. Tell me what happened." She sunk down in her seat, closing her eyes.

"I was hoping you wouldn't ask me that." Instead of forcing her into explaining, I took her hand. 

"C'mon Luce, you can tell me anything. I won't judge you." She looked up at me, and sighed.

"You remember David?" She asked. I shivered. "All too well." I answered.

"Well, he was searching through my phone and found your contact in there. It pissed him off royally, and he went on a rampage. He tried to hurt me again, so I hid. Seeing as he couldn't find me, he burned our house to the ground. I was able to get out with my wallet, ID and phone, but that was it. They were keeping me at the station 'cause they can't find him. They suspect he left town. I originally called up my gal-pal, Torrie, to come pick me up so I could move in with her, but she's outta town 'till tonight. I didn't wanna risk calling you up for help, but it was my only option. So yeah." She sunk back into the couch, and continued to watch her show as it flashed back on to the television.

I sat back in shock. I was the reason that Lucy was homeless. That her boyfriend is a psycho. And if I hadn't given her my number... but then who would she have called if caught in a similar situation? I shook my head, clearing away the thoughts. Those were all what-if's. What happened, already happened. There was no changing the past. 

~~~

Eight o'clock rolled by quicker than expected. The doorbell rang, and Lucy gathered her few things. Her friend named Torrie signaled to her from outside, saying it was cold and to hurry up, but she lingered. I pulled her into a long hug.

"Will I ever see you again?" I asked, pulling away. "Hopefully, now that David is somewhat out of the question," She smiled. "Thank you for helping me today James." She gave me a small kiss on the cheek, then turned to leave. But before she left, she turned with one last word. 

"I always knew you were the loyal type. Aleks is a lucky man. You're, like, the brother I never had now, right? And I'll be the best sister-from-another-mister that I can be." She smiled, then walked out into the cool, September-night breeze.