Take It Slow (NovaHD) Chapter 20: Silver Perfection

This is the third-to-last chapter guys! Here we go! ~Abby 

~

 "You sure you're ready to do this, dude?" Kevin asked me, igniting the car engine. I nodded.

It had only been about a week since I came to my senses about Aleks. Now, I wanted to make my move before some sense was knocked back into my brain.

Kevin had volunteered to come with me to help pick out a ring, even though Jordan protested. He thought that since he was the only married one in the group of friends, that he was the best fit to help me find the one that bellowed "Aleks". However, Kevin had known Aleks the longest, and since we were sometimes known as the "Golden Trio", I wanted him as my right-hand man on this quest.

We pulled up to the jewlery store, shimmering with expensive glass ornaments and advertising outside.  We proceeded inside, only to find it was very crowded; Christmas was coming up, and many other men were trying to find the best gift for their wives and girlfriends. We wouldn't be disturbed.

I neglected the shimmering gold-plated wraps that were coated with diamonds. Too feminine. I looked over at some custom-made, more unisex pieces. I gagged; I wasn't spending eight thousand dollars on just one ring. Too expensive.

"Hey James, come look at these ones." Kevin motioned me over towards the back of the store, where a lesbian couple were looking for matching rings. I smiled at them, looking over the different designs.

They had some pretty neat ones; some with proverbs engraved on the inside, some that wrapped around your entire finger. As I browsed, Kevin grabbed my shoulder.

"Dude," He whispered, trying to contain his excitement. "I found the one."

It was nothing special; a simple silver band that was of normal size, with a small diamond fashioned in between the gap. Many people would overlook it; it wasn't glitzy. Wasn't expensive. But I could picture it on Aleks' finger, as his hand wrapped around mine. I smiled.

"Let's buy it."

~~~

"Fuck!" Eddie laughed as he set off another Christmas cracker. It was Christmas Eve, and the Creature house was bustling; the girls were busy in the kitchen, cooking little delicious meatballs and prepping little finger foods. The boys, on the other hand, we having fun downstairs.

Dan had brought a huge set of sparkelers and other nik-naks to lighten the mood of the day; it was incredible. Jordan ducked as Seamus popped a noisemaker in his direction. Sp00n leaned up against the wall with Kevin, chuckling to themselves about the scene in front of him. Eddie burned his hand when he and Dan tried to juggle sparklers. Aleks sat on the pool table, opening up a Cracker, with Ein in his lap. James, however much he liked being around the guys, had retreated upstairs to stay with the girls. No matter how much shit the rest gave him for it, he loved being around them and their optimistic, calm atmosphere.

"So, what did you guys get for the children dowstairs?" James chuckled, stealing a chip from Ash's plate.

"Well, I got Jordan some new shirts and a cartoon poster of a cardinal, to fit with his theme." Monica smiled, pulling the lid off of the croc-pot to check the meatballs.

"I got Nick a couple Nerf guns, he loves that shit." Ali chimed in, leaning up next the fridge with some wine.

"I bought Dan a complete set of the Batman villan statues," Liz chuckled. "I hope he likes it, it was most of my paycheck this year."

"I got Seamus underwear." Ash said casually, and we all gave her a look. She smirked. "Don't tell him, but I got him a brand new set of instruments for Rock Band. I want him to get pissed off first." I laughed, then Ash turned to face me. "So, what did you get Aleks?"

I smiled, putting a finger to my lips. I pulled a small velvet box out of my pocket and opened it, to reveal the ring Kevin and I got. Monica gasped.

"You're gonna propose?" She squealed, but I quieted her down. "No one knows it's gonna be tonight, except for you guys. I'm going to do it once you give them all their gifts, right in front of the fireplace." The girls all let out aww's, and Liz pouted. "I wish Dan was that romantic!" The rest chimed in, then dinner was served.

~~~ 

Then presents were given. Each couple went together, exchanging gifts and kisses. With ever passing moment, I grew more anxious. What if Aleks said no?

"James, Aleks, you guys are last!" Jordan said happily, clapping his hands. Aleks got up, with some "good luck" glances. I stood as well, the girls patting my shoulders. Aleks grabbed a small wrapped package from the table and gave it to me. 

"I didn't really know what to get you, so... I made you something." He gave me an scared smile as I opened it. It was a small CD case, with a CD inside that read, Merry Christmas James xoxo

"It's of me singing Islands for you on my ukelele... I knew you liked it, so I thought I'd add a little "me" to it..." I smiled at him, enveloping him in a short hug. "Thank you so much Aleks. I love you, Merry Christmas."

"So James... where's your gift?" Eddie questioned, looking around for some big hidden box. I gulped, then took Aleks' hands.

"Aleks... we've known each other for a while, and when I asked you out on that first date, I startled myself; why would I ask out a good friend of mine? But you said yes. That's why we're here today. In this moment right now. And after all we've been through... I want to be able to keep this memory in mind when I die." Everyone looked up at me confused, even Aleks. I got down on one knee, pulling out the small velvet box. The fire crackled ferociously in the background.

"Aleksandr Vitalyevich Marchant... will you be mine, forever more?" I asked, opening the box to reveal the ring. Everyone gasped, looking to Aleks.

~~~